Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Live Free Or Die
Here I am, talking to you from beautiful, warm New Hampshire near the shore of picturesque Lake Winnipesauke. Mr. James P is winning bread and finding bacon to bring home, so I thought I would write you all and let you know I miss you. Aww... please make all checks payable to: CrazyJohn c/o Blogger...
Kidding. I must say, though, that my flight was quite nice (if delayed an hour because of weather). I flew Southwest... was treated to a nice, leather seat (take THAT cows)... and, furthermore, the plane wasn't full, so I got a window seat without anyone sitting right next to me. The only way to fly, in my opinion. I spent most of the take-off and landing looking out the window at the ground below. For some reason, even though I would classify myself as afraid of heights, I love looking out of windows in planes and I love rollercoasters. I don't get it either. But I noticed a lot of above-ground pools in the greater south-side of Chicago area. Who do you all think you're kidding?
Back to today... I spent the better part of the morning and the afternoon walking around this cute little town and do you know what I found? I found a vibe similar, but not completely akin to Las Vegas. Allow me to explain. Places like Wolfeboro, Las Vegas, and even Orlando (which is someplace in which my sister lived for a time) all feel like they were created just for vacationers. It doesn't feel, in all these places, as if anyone actually lives there. And, if I were to live in any of these places, I would grow to resent everyone I saw. Well, at least in Wolfeboro the town is small enough that you could actually know the people who actually live there. But in Orlando and Vegas... pretty much everyone I would see would disgust me. "Ugh" I would think "Go back from wherever you came."
But everyone here has been very nice. Especially the people at a little place called the Yum Yum Shop. Yes, that's right... Yum Yum Shop. I will post pictures when I get back to Chicago. Additionally, C Dubs would be so proud of my manners. I've been excusing myself whilst walking through stores, and pleasantly smiling to all passers-by. It must be something about the lily-whiteness of New Hampshire (from what I hear, the second least diverse state in the union [Second to Maine, my sources say])... maybe it's because this is a resort town and people are in a, generally, good mood... or maybe this is a kinder, gentler John (not likely), but not even the heat--which lead to a constant, and disgusting sweat--could dampen my mood.
I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to post again (probably an hour or two when I finish a post from before), but I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm safe at Jim's... and looking forward to the rest of the week.
One more thing... there's still hope for me thanks to this article. Yet another thing in which I am above average. I'm not exceptional... but I'm definitely above average. Enjoy that mental image... unless you want me to post a picture.

No comments: