Friday, July 08, 2005

Moron London
I just wanted to say two more things about the London bombings and then we can all go about our business. In looking at a map of the damage, I became quite aware, and quite surprised at just how CLOSE the bombings were to where I stayed while in London. Here's a map of the attacks. Notice where Regent's Park is... in between blasts 3 and 4, blast 4 being near the Euston Tube stop. Well, the stop right before Euston--close to Regent's Park--is the Great Portland Street stop. That was about two small city blocks South of our hotel. From what I can gather, Rose lives a few blocks further South of the Great Portland Street stop (and I have no idea where she works). To say that these attacks effected me personally would not be too much of a stretch.
Secondly, I am disgusted by THIS. It seems as though, because of the bombings, there were thousands of people stranded in London. As a result (and out of the kindness of their hearts), London hotels doubled, and even tripled, the price of their hotel rooms. And the British say we're heartless, money-grabbing, immoral capitalist bastards! What is this?! I would think, at the very least, if this happened in the States our hotels wouldn't double rates. Sure hotels might raise the rates a bit... but doubling or tripling?! That's horrible! If you scroll down to the bottom of the article, some of the public are crying out for the hotels to be publicly named and shamed. I feel like this would be a good compromise... let Londoners know who is there for them in a crisis, and who is just looking to make a profit.

No comments: