Friday, July 29, 2005

Night Shopping
I was hit with the not-so-sudden urge to go grocery shopping at about Midnight tonight. I had been bitching to Chelsey about wanting doughnuts for a very long time (to which she wisely told me to shut my face or she'd shut it for me)... and I finally broke down and went to Dominick's. I love that I have a Dominick's Card, it saved me $35 the last time I got a lot of groceries! And tonight it saved me about $7... which is awesome. Awesome things are awesome. Regardless of my p = p statement, my point was that I wanted doughnuts and I got them, by gum! I didn't get Dunkin Doughnuts (like I had been coveting), but I did get Krispy Kreme. A word on Krispy Kreme doughnuts, if I may. It doesn't matter how fresh they are (although the fresher the better), the first one goes down before you even know you're eating one. I don't know of any other food that's like that (unless maybe chips or something... but you normally notice that you're eating something crunchy). But, seriously, when one starts eating a Krispy Kreme, one knows that they're eating something good, but it's gone before you really realize what you're eating (ESPECIALLY when they're warm). Chris Rock had a little bit in his act about them. He said that (and I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember it ver batim) if Krispy Kreme came out and said they were made with crack, no one would be mad. The doughnuts are so good, we'd all just say "I knew there was something about them."
Speaking of crack, there's something appealing about going grocery shopping late at night. It's so much more relaxed. It's as if everyone is saying "Not right now, man... it's too late for a fuss." And you get interesting characters who are buying interesting things. I'm sure I looked weird, with my doughnuts, milk, cereal, bagels, and bathroom soap. I bet it looked like I was REALLY worried about what was going to be happening in the morning. And the woman in front of me looked like she was on some kind of recreational drug... with her Cheetoes, doughnuts (she was buying doughnuts too!), and candy. She was also absolutely STARING at something right behind me while we were in line... back-turned to the line, completely captivated by something going on behind me. I didn't look.

No comments: