Thursday, July 28, 2005

Legos, Thai Food, and Important Emails
I spent a great deal of time (read: more time than I'd like to admit) finishing Lego Star Wars yesterday. Like I said before, it's a cute little game but not at all difficult. However, I see this game easily being enjoy by children and adults alike as a not-too-frustrating break from reality.
Perhaps because I had finished the game (or because I felt I needed something to cheer me up after the game was done), I got Thai food for the first time in ages last night. The man who answered the phone was one of the most unpleasant I've ever encountered at my favorite place for Thai: Garlic and Chili, Healthy Thai Cuisine. "Now, what for food?" was my question after answering who I was, where I wanted it (take out this time), what my phone number is, and whether or not I was qualified to masticate without assistance. "I'd like an order of the Chicken Curry Noodles."(my personal favorite) "Anything else?" was the quick response, before I had even had time to continue. "Um... yeah. I'd like an order of the Sweet and Sour Chicken." (something I had never had from this place before. I was trying something "new") "Anything else?" inquired the voice. An appetizer might be nice. "Anything else?"... but that was it. "Any rice?" No thank you... but I realized that his lack of English expertise had made 'anything else' the phrase he says after every item ordered. It was at this point that I realized how Dude, Where's My Car's "And then... ?" is pure writing brilliance. Don't believe me? You're smarter than you look.
Yesterday, I received a package from my dad. It included NFT Guide to Chicago and the Newcomers Handbook to Chicago. The NFT Guide is amazing... it includes maps of each section of the city that have everything from gas stations and grocery stores to bars and restaurants. Incredibly informative. The Newcomers Handbook probably would have been interesting to me two years ago when I moved here... but not so much now. I think Chelsey would be interested to read it, though. We'll see.
And now for two emails of importance. I received an email from the company that owns the building in which I live, PPM. My plead to talk to someone about moving has, apparently, been answered. My email has been forwarded to the Lakeview office and the email I received told me that I would receive a phone call today. Notice the time of this post... I'm not holding my breath. I simply hope to hear from them this week sometime so that I can be looking at apartments next week.
Another email I received today was about a Copy Editor/Paid Intern position for which I applied. They want me to complete a "test assignment" wherein I write a 300-350 word article about (get this) Lake Mary, Florida, real estate. I have until Tuesday to complete this assignment. Am I looking forward to it? No. But, the fact is, I need a job. Even a part-time job like this. If it takes squeezing the creativity out of my writing (they want a FACTUAL article with "no cliche" fluff), then so be it. One needs to eat. And one does what one has to do. And so it goes...

No comments: