Sunday, November 14, 2004

Beer for Breakfast: Over 24 hours of slight inebriation
Friday afternoon was my Conservatory audition. I, fortunately for me, had an audition slot with both Dave and Adam. Knowing both of them would be there calmed my nerves, a bit. Unfortunately for me, I was also auditioning with Jeremiah... who, if I haven't bitched about before, does pretty much everything that I told my workshop students not to do; yet Jeremiah still gets cast for shows... which boggles my mind. Whatever... there were ten of us in the audition: only one woman, if you want to know how rare female improvisors are. We started by having short, three person scenes. I was matched up with Dave and Jeremiah (because of our last names... how clever). We were given "You're standing around a car"... and away we went. Dave mentioned taking his car to the prom... and then for some reason they ended up taking about how dirty the car's engine was. I hadn't said a word yet, but I knew that we, for some reason, were now talking about the object instead of a relationship (like going to the prom). So I brought it back to the prom, saying something like "So you guys both have dates to the prom, huh? That's cool." Which Dave knew meant to pick up on the fact that I didn't have one. So he mentioned someone that I could date and said that we could go to the prom with him and his date. Jeremiah then interjected unnecessary conflict into the scene... saying things like the car was too small for them all to go, how it was unfair that I was just 'handed' a date, and that he had to go with his second cousin. Dave said he and I could switch, and I supported that by saying Jeremiah's second cousin is hot. To which, he said "But if I go with my second cousin, I know I'm going to get laid"... and scene. Wow, I'm glad he was able to go with such a high-brow joke. We then played freeze tag, and I'm not going to get into much of this... but Jeremiah and I were up first and the line of dialogue we got was "Hand me that other cheese, Al". So I started pantomiming that I was grating cheese. Jeremiah completely ignored me and started doing something else. So I threw the cheese I was holding away and said the line. What a dipshit this guy is. I also was frozen out after one word... one letter actually... I said "I" and got frozen. I f--king hate that! If we're playing freeze tag, let me get out one full sentence; don't freeze me before you know if it's going to be any good, because you don't know what I'm about to say.
Well... as far as the audition as a whole is concerned, the fifteen minutes went quiet quickly. I told Dave and Adam afterwards that I felt like I didn't really set myself apart... I didn't impress anyone, but I also didn't feel like I made any mistakes. We'll see what they're looking for in 10 days.
I then had a few hours before the opening night of The Assistant Director's Cut. Like I mentioned before, we were double-billed with Triplette. So we had an audience of about 61 people... but I would say almost all of them were there to see the other show. Because of that, we got a few laughs... but not as many as I felt were in that show. The show was over before I knew it (seems to be the way the day went). It went well, but (as I'm most critical of myself) I could've done better.
After the show, the cast went to North Town Tap (or some bar like that). I got myself a beer, and then other cast members bought me beers... and I'm not sure how many I had. I hadn't eaten since breakfast (the audition made me nervous), so I really didn't have food in me, either. Anyway, at one point, Robert was giving me a note on the show and I "pretended" to break a bottle and stab him... and I actually ended up breaking his glass and spilling it on him (in his dress clothes) and his leather jacket. Smooth, huh? That's when I knew I should leave. Fortunately, Adam called me and said anyone in the cast could come in and get free ice cream if we wanted. I told everybody about it... but nobody wanted ice cream. Hell, I'll take IC. So I went to the Stone and Adam made me something nice. After that, I went over to Adam's to play Halo 2. He thought it was hilarious that I was "kinda drunk"... and told me to keep drinking or else I'd feel bad. I humored him by taking a beer, but I put it down and didn't touch it. I was feeling really tired, so I just slept over at Adam and Chip's.
When I woke up there it was really weird because I've never been there during the day. I thought "Wow... there's sun in here, weird." I wanted some breakfast, but they didn't have any food. So we had beer for breakfast (3 16-ozs). Yeah... they are terrible influences on me. Especially since we spent at least an hour trying to figure out how we could get wings delievered to the apartment so we wouldn't have to leave. There was no restaurant good enough that would deliver, so we went out to eat... at the finest place for wings in the country: We went to Hooters for lunch.
Going to Hooters with two other 20-something males lends itself to not the most politically correct conversations. Fortunately for us, there was football on... so we could just watch it and not be huge sexist bastards. We ended up splitting the 50 Wing plate... and it was fun (even though I don't like the wings at Hooters).
But Halo 2 was calling... and that's what we did after lunch. We went to Target and Chip bought his own copy of Halo 2. We have big plans to have two XBoxes, two tvs and play Halo 2 linked (which would make half a screen for everybody... which seems like a lot after playing it on a quarter of a screen).
At around 9 I went back to my apartment for the first time in over a day. I had just enough time to take a nap, get some food, and shower... then it was out for a night of Karaokee at "Trader Tom's." I'd never been there before, but I hear they do karaokee every single day. I went there with Greg, Casie, Brian, and Kelly... and that place was PACKED. I figured it had to be a fire hazard, because there were people everywhere. There were so many people that the wait for singing was "at least an hour", the dude said. So, after being bought two beers and two shots... I was pretty well done with drinking and other people for a while.
Sunday morning was the first official rehearsal of Basically Awesome. We blocked two of the bigger scenes, and started blocking one of the songs. Keith is excited because he thinks the show has a real chance of being basically awesome.
Sunday also marks the day that Owen moves in with Adam and Chip. They go way back with Owen, so, even though he's the new guy to me... and the new guy to Chicago... I'm still the new guy. I'm going to have to get to know ANOTHER new person, but I'm still going to feel like the odd man out. That's not so fun. But at least he'll probably play Halo 2 with us. With two TVs. And two XBoxes. We're awesome.

No comments: