Monday, November 08, 2004

Martha Stewart as my mom, and other great dreams
I like hitting the snooze alarm in the morning because it allows me to restart dreams or have completely new, short ones (like vignettes or something). Well, this morning, one of the weirder dreams was that I visited Martha Stewart in prison. The weird part wasn't just that I was visiting Martha Stewart, it was that I was treating her like she was my mom: I was hugging her very tightly, telling her that I missed her, and honestly feeling that I was missing her. Then she didn't talk like Martha Stewart... she sounded like Martha Stewart, but she didn't talk like her--she talked like my mom. And she was telling me all the nice things about prison, and the interesting people she'd met. And I wanted to cry because I missed her so much, and I felt so bad that she had been incarcerated. And that was it... the snooze wore off and the alarm sounded again. Weird, huh? Not quite sure what to make of it, but I've never really identified Martha Stewart as a mother-figure before. She's even got (from what I hear) a really shitty relationship with her daughter... so whatever.
Maybe the reason I had Martha Stewart on the brain is that I baked two (yes two) pumpkin pies last night while watching the Sunday night line-up on Fox. I have had most of the ingredients for pumpkin pie here in my apartment for a while now, I just haven't had the pie crusts... until yesterday when I thought to myself "fuck it! I'm makin' pumpkin pie." And I did. I had to sample one of the pies to make sure it was edible, a tough job... but necessary. And they're not bad at all. The incomparable Miss Chelsea Sadler suggested lots and lots of cool whip... which is totally a good idea and something I don't have (good ideas or cool whip? you decide!). I think I might give the second pie to Adam and his roommate Chip, as they've been feeding me randomly for weeks now (and stupid Chip has got me addicted to those Chicken Kickers at Dominos... soooo good!). Tangentially, I'm so addicted to Dominos now that I signed up for that online ordering thing... and I ordered some Saturday night. Domino's is literally a block away from me... so I was eating pizza about 13 minutes after I ordered it, and I barely had to move. I love this country.
What was I talking about? Oh! Martha Stewart! No... I was done with her. Pies? I think I was done with that, too. Fox Sunday! Yes... okay... so I hate reality TV shows, right? But I actually think that I might watch My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss. I started watching it, because the whole thing was filmed in Chicago. And I kept watching it because I HATE people like the contestants on the show. They started the contestants off with some champagne and hors d'oeuvres... and cut to the contestants talking about how good "rich, expensive champagne" can taste, and how the hors d'oeuvres tasted like "what a billionaire would eat" and then they showed the hors d'oeuvres being prepared and it was like bologna processed and squirted onto crackers, and that cheese in an aerosol bottle, and fucking Spam... yep, Spam. I hope these ass-kissing fake-ass (then what are they REALLY kissing?) bastards are forced to do the most demeaning things in the world. And I HATE the Bob dude who survived the first elimination... he's such a 'yes-man'. I think I might really like this show... take THAT Ivy League Economics majors!

No comments: