Thursday, November 18, 2004

Jet: The new Beatles
I've done so much writing recently... I've come up with ideas for two full length shows, five or six scenes that don't have anything to do with the two full length shows, and even a couple short runners/blackouts/monologues. I don't know what happened... but now material just seems to be pouring out of my head. I find myself lying down at night, coming up with something else that's good, and having to get up to make sure I write it down. I think part of it is that I haven't done real writing in a while and I might just have a lot of loot stored up in my noggin. Or I'm a genius... one of those things is true.
Wednesday I went out to Keith's in Oswego to talk about our show coming up in January... and to show him some of the stuff I've been writing/working on. I showed him my scripts and he liked a few of them... but we had bigger "fish" to "eat" or however that one goes. We had to buy some costume pieces for our show in January... This weekend we're taking promotional photos (yeah... some kind of neato photo shoot for me!) and we needed some stuff by Sunday. So we went to TJ Max to get ties and to a Costume shop to get other items. During our costume shop fun... Laura called out of the blue. I wouldn't mention this here, because I know you don't care if Laura calls me or not... but I had been thinking about her Wednesday. For some reason, I smelled something that smelled like her... and I recognized it as her scent right away. You know how that commercial goes "Scent is the strongest sense tied to memory" or something similarly awkward... so I was like BAM, "Laura?... weird". Just thought I'd share that with you.
Keith's wife, Sara, is hilarious. Not in a funny kind of way, but in a weird "I can't believe anyone did/said that" kind of way. Earlier, Keith had said we were getting pizza, and I thought that was cool because it was as if I was just going to help them eat something they were already eating. That sentence didn't make sense... um... I liked it because it wasn't like they were going to make something just for me--making my staying there a big deal--I was just going to have whatever they were having any way. That makes sense. Anyway, Sara said that she didn't want pizza... so Keith asked her (not really) politely to pick something better. After about twenty minutes of getting mixed mumbling and ideas that were quickly shot down by Sara herself, she finally settled on... pizza. *shakes head* WOMEN! While consuming the pizza, we watched Waiting for Guffman with the director's commentary. This is Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy talking about the movie during the movie. We were trying to get a sense of how they did this movie, because one of my ideas is for a show that is similar to those movies... except it would be live and on stage. So we were doing research... and we got a few good ideas.

Have you actually heard the words "Chicken" and "Selects"? I mean... really listen to the way the two words sound together. Yes, McDonalds, that's one of the stupidest names for a food in the history of food names.

There's an article on CNN.com that says that Math tests too easy (article here). This comes at a time when my other blog is focusing on educational problems in this country. I have yet to post on that blog about this story... but this is the other end of the "teaching to the tests" problem. If we're making the tests easier AND teaching to the tests... what the hell are they actually learning? It makes everyone think: "Is our children learning?" I took the practice test that they have, and got all the questions right. Granted I'm a college graduate, but Clinton was in office the last time I had anything resembling a math class. But I found all of the questions easy enough to do without even pencil or paper... all stuff in my head, which is pretty remarkable for me. There's nothing I can think my way through (you've talked to me, you know it's true). But, seriously, we're losing sight of the entire purpose of education with a focus on tests and a further dumbing down of the test material... what ever happened to exploring new ideas and being creative and not teaching about Christianity in schools? Was I dreaming all that?

Have you seen the Toyota Tacoma "Adrenalitis" commercial? Did you know that the suffix "itis" means an "inflammation" of something? I learned this when I had tendonitis in my left shoulder during tennis season my junior year (I'm not sure if Nate even remembers this, cuz I tried not to make a big deal out of it... but I woke up one morning and couldn't move my left arm at all... I freaked out). Ergo, Adrenalitis would be an inflammation of adrenaline, not the absence of adrenaline. This basically means that commercial makes no sense and pisses me off whenever I see it. Just thought I'd share that with you.

We have seen voting injustices in this country before. Consider the 2000 election, or the 2004 election, or, I'm assuming, any election that George W. Bush has ever won. But there is a new voting injustice in this world... and this blog is the perfect forum for it. As many of you might know, Jude Law is the 2004 People's sexiest man. I am demanding a recount of certain "red" sections of Ohio and Florida... because, come on, have you seen me? Have you seen him? There's no way he'd beat me in a fair election. But I suppose I should give props to Mr. "I am the Law"... for being attractive to women. Hey Jude... way to go.
Speaking of the Beatles, have you heard Jet's new song "Look what you've done"? Yeah... that sounds like the Beatles all right. Then why, praytell, do I like Jet's songs if I'm so fundamentally opposed to the Beatles? Well... here's where you're wrong, Laura. I'm not fundamentally opposed to the Beatles... I'm opposed to those people who believe the Beatles are the greatest band there ever was and there ever will be. I don't like this because, to me, what then is the point of trying to make anything new? It's like saying this movie is the greatest ever made... what's the point of making/seeing new movies. This one is the best ever... so there's no point to it. We've reached perfection. Plus, they're British... and fuck those pansy bastards. So why do I like Jet? I don't know... but I do. And it's not because they're the best "something" ever... they just make fun songs and that's all. Fun = Good.
(BTW, if there's one person who could have understandably killed himself, it's Stu Sutcliffe. I would've understood if he did it instead of the brain hemorrhage thing, that's all I'm sayin'. Maybe the brain hemorrhage was a result of him realizing that he could have been in THE BEATLES!)

No comments: