Friday, October 22, 2004

And you thought YOU were lazy
I went to Adam's last night to hang out and watch game 7 of the ALCS. I left "early", at about 2, and headed back to my apartment. I was so tired I went right to sleep... the first night on the new futon. It was apparently comfortable, because I woke up today at 3 in the afternoon. Yeah... I slept for about 12 hours. How lazy is that?! Very very lazy.
The good news is the rest of the day wasn't wasted. I saw "I [heart] huckabees" again tonight with Kelly. She really enjoyed it, and I did some existential research before seeing it again, so the arguments/ideas didn't hit me as hard the second time around. I did want to mention that Kierkegaard (arguably the father of existentialism) tackled the problems of God that I brought up previously. To boil it down, Kierkegaard believed that human reason isn't absolute, it's fallible and so we, therefore, cannot trust reason in matters such as debating the existence of God. In fact, it is because of the absurdity of God's existence that, he claims, we MUST believe in God. He called this the "leap of faith" [pretty clever, huh?], and said that we will never be able to have faith through reason (probably one of the reasons I struggle with my faith so epically). He also loved the paradox and his favorite example is Jesus as both God and man. A paradox, he said, yet truth. He loved the paradox so much (not the specific example I just gave, but the paradox in general) that it's been said that he used a pseudonym to publish philosophical writings just so he could later refute them himself (now THAT's paradoxical!). I find that amusing... and I will one day do the same, so that I may do my calling: writing smut novels.

No comments: