Friday, October 08, 2004

The Last Samurai
Today I watched The Last Samurai. I borrowed it from my dad months ago, but never had the chance to watch it. I thoroughly enjoyed it... it is a great movie, and it seemed to come to me at just the right time. I'm transitioning from a steady, irritating employment into a new phase in my life... and the ideals prominent in this movie strike a chord within me. The ending is a downer (I won't ruin it if you haven't seen it), as it basically means that the new will always beat the old... or superior numbers always beats bravery and intelligence (did I ruin the ending?). I find this to be unfortunate but inevitable. My kind of managing--attentive, informed, with a focus on making every employee, not necessarily happy, but productive and feeling like their needs would be met. The kind of managing that really pervades the current marketplace is that of my former employers--what's the bottom line?, how can we use our employees?, and how can we squeeze the most out of the least.
It's raining outside. A beautiful... deep... cathartic rain. Just to watch it, I feel renewed. The wind is strong, and the mist is heavy in the air. I do not feel that the weather and my feelings are unlinked. The anger and frustration I felt has almost completely ebbed... I acted with disrespect, and deserve the punishment I received. However, the way in which the punishment was handed out to me was without honor. *shakes head* It is no matter... I'm currently happier than I've been in months. I start my Assistant Director's Cut rehearsals tomorrow... and I'm very close to being able to present the hour's worth of original material written by Dave, Keith, Adam and I. AND I'm about to graduate from the beginning levels of improv here at The Second City. Things are going well.
Unfortunately, there are some interesting relationship issues that I'm currently having. I'm looking to have some fairly interesting and complicated conversations over the next weekend.
In happier news, I finally just saw the trailer to Alex Carroll's movie "The Work and the Glory." If I was made of money, not only would I buy the book to read it, but I'd fly out to Salt Lake City to see the movie when it comes out November 24th. I hear it's at Jordan Commons! Anyway... I wish him nothing but the best. I think what will really help him is that he's a student of the craft. He's really going to try to get better out there... good for him. And he gets to make out with Tiffany Dupont, who I'm sure he dated during filming. Attractive people are awesome! *thumbs up*

No comments: