Sunday, October 10, 2004

Productive Sunday!
This morning was the 27th annual Chicago Marathon. It ran right past my apartment near the four mile mark at the front, and it ran past the back of my apartment around the 11 mile mark. So my apartment building was flanked by runners this morning. It made me feel lazy. And then I got over it. Ta da! It's true. Anyway, I had to postpone going to Keith's for an hour to allow the race to pass. But, at noon, I met with Adam and Dave and we headed to Oswego and Keith's House!
Sunday at Keiths! Yay! But we had important work to do. We needed to collect all our skits, and then decide which ones were staying and which ones not going to be included in our show. I'm going to have two of the scenes I've written in our show: 'The Adventures of Superhero Man' and 'The Talk'. But we didn't just stop at selecting the scenes; we also cast all the scenes AND came up with a running order for our show. I honestly can't believe how much stuff we got done... all the loot we did is huge, and is normally accompanied by egos leading to disagreements. I guess the Second City creates such an atmosphere of trust that we didn't waste time and energy bitching about whose stuff goes where and "oh, I want my scene to open our show" or "I'm not in that one, so we can't end the show with it". I like our running order too... it makes sense and our crowd will love it. We're awesome! Look for a name and show dates to come from me soon!

Then, when I got home, I took the time to fill out my absentee ballot. If you haven't seen Nate's blog, there is something very important that we're voting on in Michigan this year. It deals with a proposal (04-2) to amend the Michigan state constitution. The amendment would specify that only a marriage between a man and a woman would be recognized as legal. Nate included a long list of what non-married couples cannot have the right to do. It's an interesting list... check it out. It should be pretty obvious how I feel... and it's one of the reasons I'm glad I'm still voting in Michigan.
So, to become a more informed voter (we're not all Rhea), I went to a few of the campaign websites. For those of you in Michigan, the website is here. Check it out. And for more info, go to another good site here. The race for congress was easy for me: Dave Camp is pro-War-in-Iraq (which is all I needed to know to NOT vote for him), while Mike Huckleberry is anti-school vouchers, anti-Patriot Act (as it may overstep the Constitution), and the slogan "Save a Duck, vote for Huck: Working Hard for the Environment" was awesome. That's all I needed. Additionally, I do not agree with Leonard Schwartz's view that "Robbers and rapists love gun control laws, because they don't want you to have a gun to defend yourself". Unfortunately for me, I agree with his views on asset forfeiture and unfair tickets. Oh well, the gun control issue is so key to how I feel that I can't justify the vote. A lot of the other races weren't as easy, as it was difficult to find info on the candidates. Then I just guessed. Kidding! Calm down Rhea... I was kidding. I just voted for all the Republicans to keep us sending my friend overseas to police the world. Right.

No comments: