Saturday, October 09, 2004

Level E Graduation Showcase!
There's nothing quite like an entire hour on the Second City mainstage! Such was my level E graduation showcase this afternoon. They rush you on stage and rush you off it, but for that one hour, the world felt like it was ours.
Our show started with a game called "1001." It's basically a formulaic game where all we need from the audience is an object and we improvise jokes. It's also an interactive game, as we're trying to get the The object we got was a cowbell. I went out as one of my characters: Guy Richardson. "A thousand and one cowbells walk into a bar and ask the bartender for a drink. The bartender says we don't serve cowbells here. Thousand and one cowbells say 'why not?' Bartender says, 'come on, you guys gotta mooove'." At this point, I egged the crowd on to give me a boo... and boy howdy did they boo. It felt great.
The next game was Jeopardy. I pulled out one of my favorite characters, Eanus. I think I did pretty well during the first part of it, but what really got everyone was the final Jeopardy question. The category was Solar Systems and the 'answer' was Uranus. So for my question I said "What do people say when they meet me? You're Eanus" and I got a huge laugh... I'm f--kin' hilarious!
The very next game was the Superhero game. We get some suggestions from the audience. One of them is getting the name of the superhero that doesn't exist... what we got was "Falling-Down-A-Lot Man". The villain was "Mr. Stair" and I was the superhero sidekick. The scene was actually HILARIOUS and not just because I was in it... because everyone in that scene was quite good. My character got to pick his sidekick name and I called myself "Helps-Him-Up Boy!" I thought it was funny at the time, forget you!
I then introduced Scene Tag. I feel like I actually made it as funny as an introduction could be... but I had to do it because I was in the first three things and Ed felt like I needed to do something near the end of the show. Whatever!
We ended the show with a Blues song game. Oh God, no we had rhythm! No pitch! It was terrible! Terrible!! I don't ever want to see or think about that game again. I don't even want to tell you how I did. It was awful. The end of this!
After the show, I spent about a half an hour with my parents talking. It was nice to have them there because this show was the culmination of a year's worth of work. It was great to have them there. But they had to leave and I had to go to my first rehearsal for The Assistant Director's Cut. At rehearsal, we just read through about half the scripts and the writers cast it. I've got lots of work to do to get myself ready for this show. It's all about deleted scenes and alternate endings from movies, and I want my impressions to be pretty good. I've got a lot of research to do before November 12!

No comments: