Monday, October 04, 2004

A year in the making... Happy Birthday Blog
(This post is from September 28th)
Before I get into anything, feel free to let me know your favorite rant from the past year... and maybe I'll have something new to say on the subject.
Now, about my trip to northern Wisconsin. The trip took seven hours from Chicago... which was longer than it should have been because of construction in Wisconsin. I ended up using all that car time to call some people and catch up. I called Sarah and Randi and Mr. John Sellers... having pleasant conversations with all involved. Except for Randi, who, despite my best efforts, continues to be a sell-out bastard punk. Heehee... no, it is true, check the footage on this video!
[Video plays]
The cabin was relaxing for the most part. My mother seems to want to be even more like HER mother now... and she's started to stay constantly anxious. From what I hear, she was pacing while I was driving up there... and she was constantly trying to plan what we were doing rather than sitting back and relaxing. This makes me worry, but it also makes me a little happy in that I know mom will find something to keep herself busy after she retires. I mean, I'm sure she's going to be really irritating to my dad, but at least she'll feel like there's stuff to be done. I think that's one of the reasons why people let themselves die when they're older: they feel like there's nothing left to be done, and they effectively give up.
My dad, on the other hand, seems ready to retire. He seems ready for lots of things... and he told me about some of them. He's noticing his body slowing down... noticing more constant aches and pains... and generally thinking more often about his death. That doesn't necessarily surprise me, but he feels that it's a lot more eminent than I want him to feel like it is. My hope is that this new project he's doing will keep him busy for the next few years.
On my way back, I used more car time for more phone calls. This time Ken, Keith, and the Southards/Colleen Kelly got charming and witty conversation. I really enjoyed my conversations with Susan, Adam and Colleen... and I am possibly more in love with Colleen now than before, if that's possible. She asked me when I plan on marrying her... and I said (as totally undesperate as possible) "I would hop a flight to LA right now if you were serious." I believe I called her bluff.

Last night (September 27th) was my Level 5 Auditions. I now have a new respect for those who I previously hated. What do I mean? Remember that Spring semester in Albion when I was a junior, and all the plays were being cast by students and no one cast me in anything? Remember how that made me bitter for a year? Now I realize how hard it is to cast people, especially when your friends are auditioning. It was unfortunate for those who auditioned, they weren't necessarily the most talented people who auditioned. Unfortunately for everyone who didn't cast me, I was the most talented one there (how's THAT for ego?). Oh well... I think the cast is great, and I can't wait to start rehearsals.

No comments: