Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Baseball??? Do I even LIKE that sport?
Kiddies... there comes a time in every man's life when he must talk about baseball. This... is my time.
A Rod trade: One of the commentators on ESPN said we'd be talking about this trade for the next hundred years. The next HUNDRED YEARS. That is, without a doubt, the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Let's see what we're still talking about that happened in 1904, shall we?
Um...
Well there was... no that was the 1980s...
Ah... We could talk about how Harry Davis, the first baseman of the Philadelphia Athletics, lead the league with 10 home runs.
>looks around<
NO! NOTHING! There's nothing from 1904 that we're still talking about. The only thing that comes close to being big enough baseball news is the integration of Jackie Robinson in 1947... and in 2047, we'll still be talking about that. But the only NEW thing that could come close to THAT is the integration of women into Major League Baseball. There isn't anything else in baseball that will make people talk for the next hundred years.
So, as long as it's not a hundred years from now (last time I checked, it's not), let's talk the A Rod trade. Boy, do I hate the Yankees. And, having said that... I love being able to hate the Yankees. Seriously. The only team I hate more is the Colorado Avalanche. Yes, I DO have the Minnesota Vikings, on principle... and I can't hate the Bears, on principle... and I'm indifferent to basketball teams because the entire team gets traded every year or two. I mean, can YOU name the starting lineup of the Detroit Pistons? Even I would have trouble... and I'm me (at least, the last time I checked). But I like being able to have clear-cut teams that I can just hate... and hope that all their players are injured at the same time... or all the players die somehow. So, the A Rod trade is another reason why I can hate hate HATE the Yankees. By the way, does my hatred for the Yankees mean I like the Red Sox? No... I hate them too. But, I do have to hand it to the Yankees, they're willing to spend the big bucks... and they do it the "right" way to keep winning. Other teams have money... but they're not using it "correctly". Either that, or there's no mistique to other teams, and everyone would really rather play for the Yankees anyway. Either of those things might be true.

Maddux to the Cubbies: Has the curse finally been lifted? I mean... just look at the Cubs starting rotation: Woods, Prior, Maddux, Clement, Zambrano... Granted Zambrano had a terrible post season, but he might not even have to pitch in the post season if all the other pitchers are healthy. Does this make the Cubs the team to beat in the Central? Um... I wish it did, but the Astros have Pettitte and Clemens and I think they're probably the team to beat. Who knows, though? With Jimmy Shy and the Crazy One in the Wrigley stands this next season, it'll be harder for the opposition to win in Wrigley than previous years. Trust me, that one dude is CRAZY...

Music: Limp Bizkit (of all things) - Behind Blue Eyes (I'm sorry... but I really LOVE that song)

No comments: