Sunday, April 10, 2005

Am I A Bad Person?
Yesterday I spent much of the day out in Oswego at Keith's. When I came back, very late at night, there was a car parked in my parking spot. I think you all know how I feel about my car... and for someone to slip into my car's home when we were gone? I was quite upset, indeed. And, least you think I'm being dramatic by calling my parking space a "home"... think of this: 1) I am renting that spot, much like I'm renting my own apartment; and 2) I pay $160 a month for that spot. I, without job, am making sure that I have $160 to pay for my car's little home month to month. So, for this person to park in my spot, they should at least be giving me money to rent it for the night. I felt as the three bears must have felt when Goldielocks ate their porridge, slept in their beds, and pretended she was the victim. I went up to the car parked in my space to investigate (I don't know what I expected to find... but it's a very natural human reaction to go investigate, isn't it?). But I did find something on the windshield. It was a note, most likely left by the owner. It had a name and home address of a woman on it, and it said something cryptic but forceful like "Do Not Move This Car." Well, for $160 a month, this note can kiss my mother f--king ass. I took the note off the car and went into my building. "Maybe," I thought, "the doorman allowed this person to park in the lot but there was a mix-up in the parking spot assigned." I parked next to the back door of my building, went in, and showed the note to my doorman. He didn't know who the woman was. He went out back with me, gave me another spot to park in overnight, and told me that he was going to put a "tow sticker" on the mystery car. Problem solved. When I woke up this morning, the car was gone... it had been towed overnight.
I think, perhaps, the worst part about this whole thing was my silent delight in the knowledge that this woman's car was going to be towed. Yes... I said delight. Something deep down inside was very happy that this woman, who had tried to take MY space without asking (as if I didn't matter... as if my personal space meant nothing), is going to have to pay the ridiculous towing fee to get her car back. FINALLY someone in this city is going to have to take responsibility for something they did wrong. Does it make me a bad person for this whole thing to make me happy?

No comments: