Thursday, April 14, 2005

Am I Done Being Depressed Yet?
Tuesday night was my TV and Film Class. We each had to pitch three screenplay ideas in front of the class. I am certainly a lot less nervous pitching for shows I don't care about (like Raymond or Desperate Housewives) than I was with pitching my own precious babies. But my pitches went well, I thought. I actually got a pretty good response to the pitch that I gave based on the story I want to write per Mr. Southard's request... so I'm pleased that I have a good idea AND eventually an avenue through which to film it. The pitch that the group decided I should work on, however, is based on my trip out West with Nick the summer after my graduation. I'm excited to work on this project, actually... seeing as how Nick turned some of his writing from that summer into a stage show at Albion. Now I'll finally get to actualize my writing's potential in screenplay form. And then all the money we spent on that trip will finally be worth it. Sort of.

In an effort to do what I was trying to talk about earlier this week, a kind of "going backwards to go forwards" kind of thing... I've spent a lot of time recently playing GTA3. Why? you ask. Well, the summer between my junior and senior years at Albion I did three things (Laura can attest to this): 1) Went to class; 2) Spent time with Laura; 3) Played GTA3 on my PC. That's pretty much all I did. And Tuesday morning, when it was raining outside, it reminded me of that summer. I guess it rained a lot in Albion that summer... because I always think of rain when I think of it. That summer ranks in my top summers of all time... I absolutely loved that summer. And, I guess, the game reminds me of being back in Albion... eating entire meals consisting of mashed potatoes and corn... spending time in Fiske with Laura watching "bad" musicals (or whatever she wanted to watch)... and just enjoying the hell of of where I was and what I was doing. It's been a long time since I could say that about myself for any extended period of time. Maybe I need to head back there to move forward... ?

Wednesday afternoon I went downtown to run some errands. One of them was to go to Borders Bookstore to pick up one of those damned rubber wristband things that I see everyone wearing now-a-days. The reason I wanted one from Borders is two-fold: 1) It says on it "Reading is Magic"... which I thinks is true; and 2) The more important reason is who Borders has teamed up with for this 'promotion.' $1.60 of the $2 goes towards CARE, which is an organization which fights global poverty. When I found out who Borders was partnered with, I made it a point to head to the nearest one and get one of those wristbands.
Another one of my 'errands' was to go see Sin City. Before I get into the movie itself, let me touch on something briefly. A friend of mine loves going to see movies by herself. Maybe loves is too strong a word but, regardless, she enjoys seeing a movie by herself. I, on the other hand, do not. I'm sick of doing everything by myself in this God forsaken city... I'm sick of walking everywhere by myself, I'm sick of eating by myself, I'm sick of seeing shows and movies by myself. So the fact that I was willing to go see this movie by myself this afternoon should show you that I'm either a) desperate or b) really wanted to see the movie.
And so I did. And I loved it. Brittany Murphy was horrible (per usual), with an accent that drifted in and out... and I'm not exactly sure what she was trying to do with her character, but I do know that she was trying to play someone who was normal and that's totally impossible for her. I think she's an honest to God psychopath (which is probably why she was so believable in 8 Mile). She is, as one might put it, "not believable as a human being." Jessica Alba was also pretty bad, but I will give her the benefit of the fact that her younger self was obviously a young Caucasian girl who grows up to be... uh...? Jessica Alba? I mean, I don't know what Jessica's ethnicity is... but she's not Caucasian. She's something more exotic and attractive than some plain ol' white chick. Well, whatever. Mickey Rourke was AWESOME as Marv... and his story-line was easily my favorite. And a surprise "cameo" by Elijah Wood just further proves that, for someone who's exactly a month younger than I am, he has done far more with his life than I ever will. And he's much more talented than I am, too.
I have also apparently been busy elsewhere in the country. It seems a Ms. Britney Spears is preggers. This story, which she posted on her website (but I got from Yahoo!), has lead to thousands of pre-pubescent girls asking "where babies come from." Thank you, Ms. Spears, for further corrupting our youth.
And now for the most asinine story of the day, a group of Canadians (it figures) are planning on suing the NHL for the right to play for Lord Stanley's Cup. Apparently, Lord Stanley envisioned hockey actually being played every year. Go figure... what a zany guy! Well, the NHL and the NHLPA certainly showed him a thing or three this "season" didn't they? *sigh* Stupid hockey forcing me to watch and like baseball. I'm done.

No comments: