Tuesday, April 26, 2005

NOT Football... I Promise
Well... if you made it all the way through my day one recap of the draft, congratulations! You have just won the "need something better to do" award. Or you're Jim ("Hi Jim!"). I will eventually finish by giving you a recap of day two... but that time is not now. Now I need to appease the "masses"... and the masses aren't as into football as I am.
This weekend was spent at home with the rents. On Friday night, I finally saw Sideways. I liked it, but was a little put off as it seemed to be the same kind of movie I'm writing for class. Yeah... eerily like the movie I'm writing... so I suppose it's good I saw it. The talk of wine is so intelligent it instantly pulls the viewer in... and then the use of wine and grapes as metaphors for Miles' character... *kisses air* magnificent. "It's uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you know, it's not a survivor like Cabernet... No, Pinot needs constant care and attention." That's one of those things that, when I'm watching, I can see the beauty of the writing. It's so apparent. It was a wonderful movie.
Saturday started with the draft and ended, pretty much, with the draft. My parents woke me up too late, so I missed the first five picks or so... but they then made up for it with a full day of food. When I woke up "How about some left-over pizza?" Okay. "I'm gonna make daddy and I make a sandwich, do you want one?" Sure. "How about some veggies and dip?" Why not? "I'm just going to leave the dip out... you want some chips?" Yeah! ... and then it was evening before the draft was done, and I realized that I had just spent the entire day eating (for the most part) junk and watching football. Day two was like this, too. It was a lot of food and a lot of laughs. And this should make a certain young lady who said that I'm "wasting away to nothing" happy. Something tells me that my mom has been thinking I've been wasting away to nothing, too... as she always sends me back to Chicago with tons of food. Literally tons of food... as I have to now take a trailer with me.
Another thing my mom sent me with was her mashed potato recipe. When I was younger, there was something magically about my mom's cooking. I think that's a fairly universal feeling... that at least something your mom or grandma makes is just absolutely magical. To me, my mom's mashed potatoes was that magical dish. And now, in my 24th year, there's nothing magic about my mom's cooking anymore. It's like... oh I don't know... it's one of those transitional things where you realize that your parents aren't going to live forever, and they're trying to pass on things to you. You know? So that hit me this weekend... mashed potatoes... one of the last vestiges of childhood magic. Am I making too much of this? Of course... but there it is. Deal with it.
Now to move on to something that has nothing to do with anything. I've just realized recently the root of one of my major problems. Ever since I graduated, I haven't had a sense of urgency. In college, I HAD a sense of urgency... I knew it was only going to be four years and I SQUEEZED the life out of Albion College. I was busy from when I woke up until when I pretended to go to bed EVERY day. And that is NOT the way I've been living here in Chicago. There has been no sense of urgency... no need for me to wake up and squeeze the life out of this city. For some reason (probably monetary) I've kept myself from a lot of this city. I hope to take some huge walks around the city before I leave for England... I haven't seen Chicago in the summer. Even though I lived here for over a year, I was too busy last summer to enjoy this city. But, if there's one thing I am no longer, it's busy.
I went to the Level 5 Shows tonight. Three of my castmates from SPP are in previews for their Conservatory Level 5 shows... so I decided to support them tonight. They were fun... the first show was tighter (more polished), but the second show had a lot of fun songs. And it made me really want to write a couple of songs... just to keep them around for when I eventually get to Level 5 myself. I would really like to write a Vaudeville song about politics... but we'll see how motivated I get *smiles*.
And, one last thing... I just wanted to let everyone know that I've preordered Alex's movie, The Work and The Glory. If you pre-order here, you can get a free copy of the book AND save 30% like I did *freeze frame, roll credits*. I'm so damn proud of Alex it's sickening. You're GD right I'm going to order his DVD... and I'm going to buy all three movies whenever they come out, too. Hell, I DID drive two hours out of my way to see it. He should be paying ME to get his DVD. Didn't buy that? Okay... well, I just wanted to let you know I ordered it... if any of you want to come to Chicago to see it when it arrives, make sure you're a hot chick and call before you get here.

No comments: