Thursday, April 14, 2005

Did I Wake Up on the Wrong Side of the Planet?
I awoke this morning to find a gigantic truck in my parking lot. It looked like a cherry-picker, but without the little basket thing... you know what I'm talking about. Regardless this truck (which looked like a fire engine... being bright red) was getting some "work" done on it's extendo-arm (remember when we called things "extendo"? What ever happened to that?!). This work, apparently, consisted of banging the metal end disc of the arm with a hammer as loudly as is possible. The worker was doing a very good job. The truck got banged (pardon my pun), drove around in a circle around the parking lot (no small feat, as it's arm was extended to four stories high. How do I know four stories? Because I live on the fourth floor and could have jumped out my window onto it), and then ended up right back were it started. Wah WAH?! Yeah... I don't know. It then picked up a basket with its arm and, while I turned away for a minute, left mysteriously. I had imagined that someone in the building across the parking lot had become horrendously obese and needed to be craned out of their building. Wouldn't that have been something? Also, at one point a furniture van drove into the parking lot too... and I imagined someone getting such a large piece of furniture that it had to be craned into the building from the outside. Ooo... that would have been good too. But, alas, nothing spectacular happened in my back parking lot this morning.
But a duo of 20-something 'stars' are both facing multiple drunk driving counts. Nick Carter and Chris Klein (of American Pie fame) both face two counts of drunk driving in California. The cases have nothing more in common than that. No one really cares about Klein's arrest, I just thought it ironic that he's facing the same charges as Nick Carter. Get this... Carter's defense to the public (by way of his publicist) is that he was taking "doctor-prescribed medication" that interacted negatively with the breathalizer. Or something to that effect. It sounds like he needs to hire a better liar. I mean publicist (I hate those people).
*Looks around* What else? Hmm? Oh yes... I would be remiss if I didn't take the time to agree with Laura's comment about Clive Owen. At points in Sin City his accent was American and at points... not so much. Also, good on ya for thinking Bruce Willis was hot as a late 60s ex-cop with a heart problem. To me, nothing says "hotness" like a faulty 'ticker.' I didn't know Laura had a grandfather fetish.
Speaking of Bruce Willis, have you seen they've announced the making of another Die Hard movie, Die Hard 4.0? I absolutely loved the first movie... laughed at and through the second movie... and loved the third movie. If this one follows the pattern, I look forward to a terrible, trite, over-produced movie. Even the current plot outline sentence--"McClane and his daughter get involved in a terrorist plot while on a holiday"--seems recycled. Oh no! He added a daughter... that's totally new!
But, speaking of totally new things, here are two stories the likes of which I don't think I've ever come across. First, a woman in the St. Louis area is suing a Lowe's Home Center because she was attacked by a bird while in their OUTSIDE garden area. The bird apparently flew into the back of her neck... and while I understand that any trauma to that part of a person's body can have serious effects (she's claiming injuries to her head, brain, neck, muscles, bones, nerves, discs, ligaments, as well leading to the loss of neurological functions and cognitive skills... which falls under the category "far fetched"), it is absolutely ludicrous that she's filing this lawsuit. I hope that she not only loses, but loses a counter-suit filed by Lowe's for "dumbassness" or "intent to make me vomit." What a horrible precedence this would set if she wins. People would sue for weather conditions or other uncontrollable events. Hell, I should sue if the Packers schedule a game on a cloudy day because I wanted to see a game in the sun and boo hoo hoo...
Finally, a boy has been suspended from a San Bernadino high school for wearing make-up, which he claims is integral to his religious beliefs. The make-up? Black lipstick and red eye make-up (think "The Crow" or, better yet, think two comets heading for his nose and convening at his eyes). The religion? Wiccan. While I applaud him sticking up for himself against "the system"... some people just need to be saved from themselves. If Wiccan is a religion, so is baseball... The point here shouldn't be the religion. That just further clouds this issue. If a dude wants to wear makeup to school, and girls are allowed to wear makeup to school, then there shouldn't be a problem. That's really as far as he needs to go with this. The caption to the picture says he wears the makeup because it makes him feel better about himself... that's ALL he NEEDS to SAY (in my book). Think about transvestites... wouldn't a male transvestite be able to wear makeup to school if he so desired? Isn't that fair? By bringing "religion" into this, he's only going to get a negative response from the conservative Christians (I, apparently, am one of them [weird!]) who are like "Ooo... Wiccan. What a fuckin' weirdo. Probably sacrifices chickens by biting the head off and watching it run around the room." Or whatever they do. My point being that he didn't need to (and shouldn't) bring religion into a rights issue that could clearly be secular. And he's in the right (not that he's conservative... he's CORRECT)... he's just not going about it well politically. *Nods* Because I know all about politics.

No comments: