Friday, April 22, 2005

The Euphonics Not the Only Ones Up "After Dark"
Last night I went back to my alma mater, Albion, not to see a play (for once) but to see a concert. It was the concert of the group I helped to found while I was still in school: the Albion College Euphonics. It was the Euphonics' last concert of the school year and, thusly, the last concert for this year's senior class. I felt their pain, joy, and sorrow... I remember the end of my last concert, taking one last look off the stage, as I walked down and out the door of the KC's stack. I was just trying to soak it all in one last time. And, funny enough, I don't necessarily remember what I saw. I just remember that I did it. Isn't memory funny? (hint: ... what was the question?)
Regardless, I watched a different Euphonics group than the group I founded. Not only were they different in members (this senior class will be the last group that were in the Euphonics while I was there), but they just seemed different. The group has evolved. It seems that the music itself has come easier to the group--so much so that this version of the group has the time to choreograph cute little group moves during the songs. We didn't have group moves. In fact, we had all of those ideas stamped out by the former "powers that be." The focus of my old group was to look and sound professional... and, perhaps, this is why I was such a "cult classic." Okay... I wasn't a cult classic, but I like to pretend that I was. I did certain wacky things with the group that made me a "crowd favorite" back in the day. But, if I was in the group now, I would be just one of the group. I guess that's one of the things that's different about this group from my group: we focused on individuals, whereas the new group is a group. But they're similar groups in that my group had MCK and this group has MCW... both hot hot HOT. Aww... Emcee Dubs, so beautiful.
But, as I sat watching the show, I couldn't help feeling like a proud parent. These Euphonics were are widdle babies when I graduated... and now they're King $hit of Phuk mountain. I'm the most creative person in history. I'm sidetracked! Anyway, I couldn't help being proud of the choices that my group made in who we let into the group. We did quite well in our selections... and I think the new group has also made some pretty good choices. But they're not as cool as I am... harsh but true.
Then in a moment of pure, unadulterated stupidity, I decided to drive to Chicago after the concert. I guess it wasn't really all that stupid of me... as I got to share the road with trucks the whole time. It made me feel like I was going at super-speed! I know I'm lame, but it was super-late o'clock... and I needed something to keep me mentally alert. I did end up spending a great amount of time thinking about everything that had transpired that evening. It was an interesting day, to be sure, and I had lots to think about. "It's just me against the road..."

No comments: