Saturday, April 09, 2005

Better Things Have Happened To My Ego
Tonight was the closing night of SPP. I have, for the most part, been quite pleased with this show. I mean, I've gotten great support from unexpected sources... Kenny saw it. Andy saw it. Jim saw it. And my parents saw it. We sold out three of the five weeks... having good crowds the other two weeks. I'm generally happy with the way this particular show turned out.
After the show, the writers received their certificates of completion/graduation from the writing program at the training center. It's nice to be able to be a part of that... to feel like I had something to do with that. And, after that, I headed with most of the cast and a couple of the writers to Ben's place. Ben is one of the writers of the show and he invited everyone over to his place for a cast party. The interesting part of the cast party was that it wasn't a cast party... it was a party that the cast just happened to be invited to. So after about half an hour of eating free food and drinking free beer, I decided that I felt a little too guilty about it and needed to go get some "actual" food. Actually a group of us decided to go to one of the bars by Second City to get some food and hang out.
Here's where the story gets interesting and my nuts get kicked in. Not literally kicked in... but I don't know how else to describe what happened. Do you think it's a bad thing when a girl you have a crush on introduces you to her friends as "This is John. He has a huge crush on me."... pause... "Well," I thought, "I did until about three seconds ago, when you tactlessly stepped on my feelings." I assume that you expect me to say that I spent the next few hours drinking... but that's the opposite of what happened. I got so very sober when she said that... I stopped drinking and just wanted to leave. I didn't actually leave for a while, but I wanted to just crawl up into a little ball and roll my stupid ass back to my apartment.
There's really no point to this post... I just wanted everyone to know that their night was better than mine. And it was going so well... I covered during one scene when the "tick" broke off my face and flopped onto the stage. I covered so well... and even got a laugh. And then... stupid f--king women.

No comments: