Monday, April 18, 2005

Cranberry, Vanilla Pudding, and Flan... what were YOU doing at 3 AM?
Last night, after a very late night phone call, I found myself making various Jell-o desserts. I'm not exactly sure why I do that... why I decide, all of a sudden, to cook something or make something. I think that if I had a better kitchen (I've never been satisfied with any kitchen I've had), I might find myself in the kitchen quiet often. I think cooking, to me, is like Holmes' violin or his pipe... I cook to clear my mind, but somehow find focus in it. I'd probably spend a lot of hours in the kitchen 'experimenting' if I had a kitchen the way I wanted it to be. I find it odd that I'll cook and do dishes, but would rather have blood drained from my body than do laundry. Stupid laundry! I think that might change too when, like Ken or someone else, I have my own washer and dryer and can leave laundry in for however long I want. Laundry without ones own washer and dryer is a huge pain in the buttocks. What the hell am I talking about? Oh, right... thanks to the crappy movie Envy (which I didn't see all of, but I didn't need to because I could have written it myself after the first five minutes), I now have made flan as well as some Jell-o. Anyone who wants some Jell-o or some flan, should get while the gettin's good!
Moving on... here's something I found as part of a list of quotes. I've had my own thoughts of re-inventing the English language to make more logical sense. It was more specific than Twain's general rules below... and it wasn't as funny. Enjoy.
"A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all. Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli. Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld."

No comments: