Sunday, April 24, 2005

NFL Draft Day 1
Well... day one of the NFL Draft has certainly contained some surprises. Surprises from beginning to end... particularly at the end. But let's start at the beginning, shall we?
San Francisco 49ers: Alex Smith went #1 overall to San Francisco. Yes, he certainly fills a need for them. Although he's got nothing in the way of ANY kind of offensive support. San Francisco went on to select David Baas C/G Michigan (a fine institution for letting Miss Sarah Jean in to their grad school), Adam Snyder G Oregon, and Frank Gore RB Miami (Fl) in subsequent rounds. This proves that at least someone is paying attention to the lack of offensive help for Alex Smith... and drafting a Center is almost as important an Offensive Line move to developing a young QB as drafting a Left (usually) Tackle. I think Baas was one of the best interior linemen available in the draft... and San Fran was lucky to have him around in the 2nd round. I am going to question the selection of Frank Gore--who has had durability problems throughout college--especially with Marion Barber III, Ryan Moats, and Cedric Houston still available. But Running Back is certainly a need for the Niners, and let's hope Gore stays healthy enough to fill it.
Miami Dolphins: Ronnie Brown RB, Auburn went #2 overall. While I know he fills a definite need for the team, I'm in the group of people who want to know why, if this guy is so good, he wasn't starting in college. Why did Williams start if Brown is so good? I have yet to hear from anyone a definite answer. I did hear Nick Saban say that he had to play against Brown at LSU, and that Brown is the reason why half his guys would be in the training room with injuries after the game. That sounds like he knows what he's getting. Saban also knows how to draft players that I wanted: Matt Roth DE Iowa, and Channing Crowder ILB Florida. I had my eyes on both of those guys for the Packers in the second round... but I'll get to that more later. The Dolphins had a pretty good draft so far... if they were the Packers.
Chicago Bears: I'd talk about Cleveland here but, honestly besides Jimmy Shy, who cares? I only mentioned Miami because they took two players I wanted for the Packers. And here we are with the Packers' rival: The Chicago Football Bears. While I'm a bit stumped at why the Bears needed a Running Back with Thomas Jones playing so well last year, Benson (RB Texas) is a pretty good one. Jimmy talked about the wear and tear on him after carrying the ball so many times, but I need only point to another four-year Running Back from Texas, a Mr. Ricky Williams, to say that carrying the ball a lot in college doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to carry the ball a lot in the pros. The Bears also took Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma... to further prove the emphasis this year is on their offense. Even though the Bears are making strides, look for them to still be the worst team in the NFC North.
Tennessee Titans: In the first round, the Titans picked Adam "PacMan" Jones CB West Virginia. I only mention him because I think he wins the award for coolest nickname in this draft class. They call him PacMan, ironically, because he eats little glowing white pellets before the game. And, when he eats fruit, the other team flashes, and then he can eat them, too. It's like magic. I also mention the Titans because they selected two WRs in the third round...Courtney Roby, Indiana and Brandon Jones, Oklahoma. I'm not sure why the Titans felt the need to reload WRs when the rest of the team is so terrible. I can't imagine Tennessee being any good next season. But, then again, Steve McNair has made a career out of surprising this guy *points to self*.
Minnesota Vikings: My most hated team. I'm glad they picked Troy Williamson (WR NC State) rather than Mike Williams, because I think Williams is the better receiver. I think Williams would have been a great fit in Minnesota if everyone wouldn't have instantly compared him to Randy Moss. Maybe that's ultimately why they didn't pick Williams? He was too like Moss for their liking? But I think they're wrong, if that's the case. I like Mike Williams... and I think he got ROYALLY screwed when he tried to enter the draft and then they wouldn't even let him back into USC. I think that humbled the once cocky kid who thought he was better than Keyshawn Johnson when he was a freshman (he should have aimed higher than Keyshawn, BTW... he's MUCH better than Keyshawn is). Then, in yet another Viking move specifically designed to enrage me, the Vikings used another first round pick to select Erasmus James DE Wisconsin. I mean, come on! Picking a Badger?! Now I can't root for him in the pros. I have to hope he leaves or gets traded before I can root for him. That's just downright mean of them. I hate the Vikings. But, with a revamped defense look for them (not the Packers) to be the team to beat in the NFC North.
Washington Redskins: The Redskins were one of four teams with two first round picks, and they used their first to take Carlos Rogers CB Auburn. This was a need pick, and I honestly have no feelings towards Rogers what-so-ever (I do like Antrel Rolle CB Miami (Fl) who was taking one pick ahead of him by Arizona... but I didn't feel like talking about the Cardinals, so there you go [I agree with Jim about liking the new Cardinal uniforms, too]). The Redskins used their second first-round pick to take Jason Campbell QB Auburn. I do have feelings about this pick. I know Jim didn't like the pick, but I do. I think Patrick Ramsey is terrible and that they need someone else. Should they have taken Campbell here or waited, gotten a need pick, and then gotten a QB later? No. The Redskins had two first round picks and then didn't pick again until day 2... the only other thing they could have done with this pick is trade down, gotten two picks in the second-round; then used one for a need and the other for a QB. Let's face it, Brunell is almost retired (and he should) and Ramsey is terrible. Quarterback is a need for Washington. I will agree that they could have traded down, but they still need a quarterback. Ramsey sucks.
Detroit Lions: And so begins another year where the Lions pick well and the Packers don't. It started right away with Mike Williams at the #10 spot. I wish I could say I was surprised, but the luckiest man on the face of the planet (hitherto Dan the Bass Man... now World's Luckiest Man) and I were talking about the Lions' draft needs. He mentioned Mike Williams specifically... so, while my parents were surprised by the pick, I wasn't. Yes, yes, yes... now the Lions are unstoppable on offense... blah, blah, blah. But is there defense any good? What? They took Shaun Cody DT USC and Stanley Wilson CB Stanford? Oh... well, maybe the defense isn't so bad. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cody playing Defensive End next year (or at least trying it)... and as long as Wilson can stay off the coke, he should be fine too. Another good draft for the Lions so far... but let's hope they get someone in day 2 to sure up that tissue-paper offensive line. No one can throw the ball very well if the entire other team is on top of them within two seconds. Not even newly-acquired Jeff Garcia.
Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys, another team with two first-round picks went defense, defense with Demarcus Ware DE Troy and Marcus Spears DE LSU. Look for the Cowboys defense to be different next year... with them no doubt trying a 3-4 look. But, also, look for the Cowboys... offense to still suck big monkey balls... even though Julius Jones is beginning to prove he's a stud.
Kansas City Chiefs: I will give KC one thing, they are going to try to get better on defense if it kills them. Taking Derrick Johnson OLB Texas was probably a good move for them, but he won't be able to help enough to make their defense any good. And then drafting Tennessee Punter Dustin Colquitt was almost the "wahh?!" of the draft. For a team that needs more defensive help than the Packers (and that's tough. A short list consisting of KC, Indy, and maybe Cleveland), to take a punter instead of getting more Defensive help is almost laughable. Look for them to do something equally stupid in day 2 like drafting a Wide Receiver.
Cincinnati Bengals: When Chris Mortenson said that Cincy might be the sleeper pick to knock off the Patriots, I had to think about it for a second. If nothing else, Marvin Lewis could draft players for the Packers and I'd be happy. They took two players I would have taken: David Pollack DE Georgia, and Odell Thurman ILB Georgia. I like Pollack... he plays with a lot of heart. I just worried that he would go to a team that wouldn't be able to get the most out of him. That will not be the case in Cincy. Marvin Lewis will squeeze every drop of his potential out... and the same with Thurman. I question their selection of WR Chris Henry from West Virginia only because I hear he has discipline problems and I can't imagine Chad Johnson being a good influence on him. Still, with the Bengals on the rise, the Steelers kickin' and takin', and the Ravens drafting right (moron that later), the AFC North might be one of the best in football next year.
Baltimore Ravens: I just told you that the Ravens draft right. In my opinion, their defense defies all odds in that it keeps getting better and better. True, WR Mark Clayton Oklahoma, is a need pick that will help the offense immediately... but to have a player like Dan Cody (DE Oklahoma) just fall into the Ravens' lap in the mid/late second round is just disgusting! We are talking first-round talent just dropping right into (what I think is) the most talented defense in the league. New England may have the best scheme, but Baltimore has the best players. If Clayton can help the offense to be just as good as average, it will be the Ravens, not the Bengals, knocking off the Patriots on the way to the Super Bowl.
Oakland Raiders: I have to admit, when the Raiders moved up in the first-round, my heart was in my throat. I had watched Aaron Rodgers, a player and person that I like VERY much, drop all the way through the first round. When he wasn't selected by New Orleans at 13, I figured the Packers had a chance at taking him with pick 24. Then the Raiders moved up and I thought it was over. The Raiders, who have Kerry Collins under center, obviously need a Quarterback. What put me at ease is that I hear Rodgers doesn't throw the deep ball well, and, well, that's pretty much all the Raiders are interested in doing. When the Raiders ended up using that pick to take Fabian Washington CB Nebraska (who I hear is the fastest player in the draft), I was thrilled. The Raiders did get their Quarterback in the third-round: Andrew Walter out of Arizona State... and took who I think was the biggest reach of the first day, Stanford Routt CB Houston. They also got Kirk Morrison, an ILB from San Diego State, who I had my eye on maybe the Packers drafting later in the day.
Green Bay Packers: Like I said above, I watched a player (and person) who I've liked for a while, Aaron Rodgers (QB Cal-Berkley) fall through the first-round of the draft. They kept talking to him and putting the camera on him, and I think Aaron did a very good job answering the questions even though he was obviously upset. That's okay though... I don't want an actor; I want someone who will let his teammates know how important the game is to him. I saw Aaron in a skills challenge they had for pro prospects a few weeks ago and he won all the QB competitions and received them from a SI Swimsuit model (whom he hit on every time he won). But he was charming... and obviously talented. For a player like this, who was (a week ago) projected to go #1 overall to fall all the way to #24, it should have been a no-brainer to select him. And the Packers pulled the no-brainer pick... selecting Aaron Rodgers with the twenty-fourth pick overall. I do NOT want to hear any SHIT about him being Brett Favre's successor. That's not the type of bullshit he needs to hear. I'm actually thinking about writing him a letter asking him to please not worry about being the next Brett Favre. I want him to be the best Aaron Rodgers he can be. The Aaron Rodgers that torched the USC defense (which is basically a pro defense, if you look at the talent). I don't need him to throw the ball down-field, we've got a West Coast Offense. I don't need his mechanics to be perfect, we've got Brett freakin' Favre. If there's one place in the league that passing mechanics don't matter, it's Green Bay. And I don't need him to be Brett Favre. To be put simply, I like Aaron Rodgers. A lot. And there was much cheering and celebrating in my house when the Packers picked him. And then... The rest of the draft happened to us. In typical Packer drafting fashion... we DID take the guy I've never heard of--Nick Collins CB/FS Bethune-Cookman--and then we took the guy we don't need--Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M. With so many GLARING holes on defense, and players like DEs Dan Cody and Chris Canty, LBs Channing Crowder, Kirk Morrison and Lance Mitchell, AND CBs Justin Miller, Darrent Williams, and Bryant McFadden ALL STILL AVAILABLE when we picked Collins... I was frankly floored by the Packers pick. I am constantly surprised by the draft-day stupidity of my team. Even my mom got quite upset at the Collins pick. "Who's this guy? Why didn't they pick someone better?" Like THAT'S an easy question to answer. I was all prepared to praise our new GM, Ted Thompson, for having the balls to pick Rodgers with so many defensive and immediate needs... and then he messed it up by selecting these two clowns. I just hope that the Packers don't embarrass themselves in day 2. (Isn't that a great hope for the draft? That your team doesn't embarrass themselves with the stupidity of their draft picks?... I thought so.)

New England Patriots: Every single year, the Patriots fall under the "rich get richer" category... this year is no exception. New England apparently decided to address their offensive line and, apparently, got two great picks in the first and third-rounds with Logan Mankins G Fresno State, and Nick Kaczur G Toledo (respectively). I know NOTHING about offensive lineman, so I just go with the experts when it comes to the offensive line. And the experts are saying that they got two pretty good ones. So there you go. Stupid Patriots. They play the Packers in the preseason in Lambeau... a game in which I am attending. I promise you this: I will never root so HARD for my Packers to win a preseason game as I will for this game against the Patriots. My hatred for them is almost as much as my hatred for the Vikings (which is undying).
New York Football Jets: Last year I damn near fainted when the Packers traded up to take Punter B.J. Sander (what a great move THAT turned out to be [my sarcasm dial is set on "High"]). But, to be honest, the Jets lost in the playoffs because of kicking and damn near lost their first playoff game because of kicking... so Mike Nugent K The Ohio State University fills a pretty big need. Heehee... but still, they drafted a kicker in the second round. What a bunch of tools.
Philadelphia Eagles: Speaking of tools, the Eagles fall under the "rich get richer" category this year. With about a million day 2 picks, look for them to fill any need they have AND be able to make trades to get higher picks this year OR better picks next year. Their day 1 didn't impress me (although Ryan Moats RB Louisiana Tech will probably be a STEAL), but their day 2 could be good enough to piss me off.
Denver Broncos: Just when you thought you'd seen it all, the Broncos had the last pick of day 1. And they used it to take Maurice Clarett RB (formerly of The Ohio State University). I thought, previously, that the Broncos' "Cornerback selection button" was stuck... as they chose three CBs (Darrent Williams Ok State, Karl Paymah Wash State, and Domonique Foxworth Maryland [giving them the award for oddest named players in the draft... hands down. None of those are typos... I checked twice]) before the Clarett pick. For Clarett, Denver is a perfect place... as I could gain 1,000 yards behind that offensive line. Mike Shannahan goes through Running Backs like tissues... thinking them equally useful, and equally disposable. Ooo... but perhaps now the pressure is on Clarett, as everyone knows how easy it's supposed to be to gain a thousand yards in Denver. How bad does he want it? We'll see... an interesting pick to end the day, to be sure.

I think that's all I feel like writing about for now. I am eventually going to read all of what Jim wrote... but it's tough to concentrate with my dad snoring so damn loud next to me. I can barely hear myself think... and I can barely hear all those other voices in my head, too.

Also, I suppose I can post this because she said that she's talked to the "gang" already... but I got a call from Miss Sarah Jean today. She wanted to let me know that she's engaged! Congratulations are most definitely in order. Eli seems like a good man, and they seem very happy together. And, for some reason, she feels like the "first one"... even though I saw Chad get married, I was "in" Jean's wedding, and I'm in Bohne's wedding in the summer... it's different. I knew Sarah before she knew Eli. Chad and Bones were already dating their respective significant others when I met them. It was just another part of their personality. And Jean, dear God Jean... with Jean, the marriage just seemed to fit. Like, 'of course Jean would get married, she's always liked men.' I don't know why that makes sense to me... but Sarah I knew when she was in a "man-hating" phase, which was so phuking prevalent at Albion it was sickening. It was more trendy to hate men when I was at Albion then it is to wear those damn rubber wrist bands (of which I am currently wearing two). This whole thing just makes me feel like I'm TOTALLY getting older.

No comments: