Friday, December 12, 2003

Another guest rant from another actual guest... Mr. James P. Shilander
Ok, I'm watching the Lakers- Mavericks game with Mr. Steeno, who has been kind enough to let me sit here and watch his cable (wow, precious cable) television, when I realized that Shawn Bradley, who I actually got to watch get drafted, really needs to be on steroids now. Then I realized he's a Mormon, and so if he can't have caffeine he probably wouldn't use steroids. I also must say the following, while looking at the NBA retro jerseys about an hour ago, I realized just how nice the old Laker jerseys were, with the classic combination of navy and sky blue and white. Very classy
This city is a hard one to live in without money and people who love you. I would have gone mad by now if I didn't have my family, John and the greatest girlfriend in the world as my support. I could never thank them enough, and I know I will never be able to thank Karen Marie for all of the joy she has put in my life.
For anyone who wants to know, my Journalism classes have been going well, and not to sound arrogant (which I know I can be) they've almost been too easy. I just feel so disconnected, it hasn't been like Albion, obviously the size of the city is an important difference, but all of my classes are one day a week and are at night, so I've been worried bout things like getting and now holding a job (which is another subject altogether, if you have friends who are hiring in Chicago call 734-717-3247), and not my classes. I'm also the youngest person in my classes by far, which I was maybe very naively thinking would not necessarily be the case.
Roosevelt as an education is a good one, and my professors are all experienced in journalism and in teaching, so I have learned a lot.

I agree with John that this can be a hard city to live in. I sometimes feel completely swallowed up, and there are so many people here with those stereotypically big city attitudes that can generally browbeat me if there is a confrontation, which I always try to avoid at all costs. I miss Albion, I miss all of those people, I miss lunches in Baldwin with Susan, Nick, Andy, Mike and Steph, I miss walking down to Herrick as the sun is setting, I miss late night walks to Goodrich for Euphonics and noon time gatherings for choir. I miss going over to the PSA or Burns for girls' night out, which somehow included me, and I miss being 45 minutes from the love of my life. But this is a situation, a place, that forces you to mature. I know I will come out of this, having to live alone, having to fret over my monetary situation, as a character building exercise, as an exercise to make me a better man, husband and father. I hope that everyone reading this will send me their best with my finals coming up and with the Christmas rush at the UPS store. I want you all to know how much I love you all and hope the best for you. Hopefully I'll talk to you soon. Wish me luck.

No comments: