Sunday, December 14, 2003

That girl has amazing timing... my horoscope:
"This is a good day for tapping into your guardian angels, dear Capricorn. Even if you are not a religious person, you could sense some spiritual help around you today. You might feel inspired to think about your life and your relationships in a new way. A spirit of healing and peace will be in the air. Try to apply this energy to your life. Maybe you can declare a truce with someone."

So, in that vain... plus the fact that a certain someone wondered what's with all the "woman" references in my away messages... PLUS the wonderfully sappy message left by Mr. James P (sappy, but very nice... you cute, cute man)... PLUS the fact that my back is KILLING me and I could really use a back rub... has led me to this...

CrazyJohn... a Chronology through relationships:
I started dating Jessica when I was 16... in Winter of 1997 (before my birthday, of course). How we met: I met her because two of my friends were interested in her and I wanted to know more about her. Interesting, huh? It's like I won some kind of "race" for her affections. I hate it when that happens.... whenever it happens, as I'm sure it happens a lot. Why we broke up: Um... well... she was Mormon, and was against "tongue" kissing. Yeah... so basically my teenage hormones broke up with her for me, almost a year later in September/October of 1998. What I learned: It's really hard to break up with someone who you actually like. Also, it's ok to break up with someone if you're unhappy about something, even if that something is the amount of being "physical."
And I was only single for a couple months before I started dating Claire, late November of 1998. How we met: I met her because she was dating my best friend, Nate. From this... you know where the story goes, don't you? Why we broke up: Nate was more important to me than she was... that simple. I couldn't stand not having him as a friend... couldn't stand it at all. It was one of the worst experiences in my life, period. So I broke up with Claire just over a month later, around New Years... while she was on vacation in Arizona (another of the studipest things I've ever done). What I learned: No girl is worth losing your best friend. Stay away from your friends girlfriends, because bad things could happen. Don't let bad things happen with your best friends' girlfriend.
The next summer (of 1999) I met Amie during the production of "Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum". We didn't start technically dating until February of 2000, but I wanted to... and we saw each other a lot. How we met: I gave her a ride home from play practice once, just because she needed a ride and I was really into driving that summer (as my car was brand new and I spent most of that summer driving around Big Rapids at night... a fantastic summer... I loved that summer)... and then I gave her a ride again... and she showed me her trampoline... and that means that we made out... a lot. Why we broke up: For reasons that are personal to her, I won't go into it... but she broke up with me. She broke up with me in the summer of 2001... right after school got out, and right after I returned from one of the greatest trips of my life (to New York, to sing in Carnegie Hall with the Albion College Choir). What I learned: Having someone dump you hurts. Long distance relationships CAN work... if you work at them. I love being around women who make me feel young... make things fun that I would normally feel stupid doing. I treat people terribly if I think they're not as smart as I am... and I usually I think people who are younger than I am are stupider than I am (thanks to Amie, this has been something I've been working on ever since).
Then Laura and I started seeing each other the next winter, February of 2002. How we met: Danielle Harsh's directing scene. Then she went to Italy, got drunk, emailed me... and it was pretty obvious she was interested. Then there was the "keeping her hands warm" during Lord of the Rings... which led to the New York Rangers hockey game... which led to meeting her dad and wanting my death to be swift and painless. Why we broke up: We both gave up... honestly. We both gave up, I was unhappy... she was preoccupied... things got too serious... we were looking ahead too much to an uncertain future. Timing, too, was key... as we were both getting to a selfish period in our lives, as we prepared to move on.... and I don't think either of us wanted to worry about what the other person would be doing after we graduated.... so we broke up in December of 2002. What I learned: It's really hard to break up with someone who you actually love. You have to be in the right place in your life to be serious in some relationships... we weren't too serious, we were too serious for the time in our lives. I want a family... a wife and children... a house... you know, a boring and normal life. So, I'm already looking for a wife... not just a "girlfriend" (maybe this isn't the right thinking... but it's where I am, I know it).
And then, I met Karen. How we met: Technically, we met during "The Seagull". But we "met" when I took the time to listen, and she trusted me enough to talk... on a long walk back to Wesley. We started dating in January of 2003... at a fantastic ACTF. Why we broke up: I'm still working on this... I guess it's still too close, and the wound still not scabbed over. It had something to do with distance... and her not being "strong enough"... and some other things I won't go in to... but have to do with things in her life that she has to deal with (or has already dealt with). But she broke up with me during the summer of 2003, right after school, right after I came back from one of the greatest vacations of my life (with my "son" to Vegas and all points West). What I learned: So much... and I'm still learning new things. I learned that I really love people who dream, people who are optimistic, people who can see the beauty in the world... as I want to be able to do all of that, but just can't for one reason or another. I learned all sorts of things about love, loving someone, emotions, and letting myself be loved (as that was a problem that I didn't know I had).


Wow... what has this gratuitous venture into the past taught us, kiddies? Well... This (currently) has been the longest time I've gone without a girlfriend, or even a prospect of one, since I started dating. Also... if you're dating me, watch out for the month of December! And... I should avoid going on vacations right after school ends if I'm dating someone, because they apparently choose when I come back to break up with me. We've also learned that every relationship teaches us something about ourselves... so relationships are good... and many relationships are good too.
What else have we learned? Well... it seems like I'm almost always dating someone in the month of December... so this month is difficult too. And it's been a long time... and I'm lonely. Although I didn't have to go through all this to say that... I could've just started it by saying that I was lonely.
And it's three thirty in the morning and I open tomorrow, so I'm going to bed. "Bloodsport" is a fun movie, by the way.
Hope everyone has a crazy evening... and is having a great weekend... because I'm not really... but I sort of am... but not really. Oh well... bye for now, kiddies.

No comments: