Friday, December 19, 2003

A Response to The Angry Feminist
"Of course, the Angry Feminist commentary fails to recognize that, in reality, Santa would be using the male antlerless deer as they are INFINITELY more streamline and aerodynamic, thus being the better choice for speeding in a worldwide dispensation of goodness and coal.

So how do we explain the current misrepresentation of Santa's deer as female deer?

The fact that most pictoral representation of Santa and the reindeer show a collection of female deer betrays the real culprits behind the misinformation... that of a subversive, misinforming, Santa-immasculating matriarchy. Why would men choose the less aerodynamic (and thus inferior) female reindeer? Why would men choose to make Santa a fat man in a red furry suit? Indeed, that representation is the culminating step of a power-grab undertaken by the modern mass matriarchy. They have made Santa
fat and dress him like a freak.

Seriously, what self-respecting man wears red and fur like that?

To further illustrate how the matriarchy is responsible for the current mischaracterization of Santa and his reindeer, consider this: Where do we find pictures of Santa and antlered deer? In classrooms, on Christmas cards, and the Hallmark channel. Who is generally in charge of those classroom decorations? Female elementary teachers. Who buys and sends Christmas cards? Women. Who watches the Hallmark channel? Yeah, you guessed it...

Ultimately, the misinformation comes from the matriarchy, not the patriarchy, and the bastardization of the Santa mythology has been largely due to that matriarchy, whom I suppose undertakes to twist and manipulate the myth because of childhood bitterness about not getting that Barbie they'd always wanted... And whoever said there was a Mrs. Claus? Where is that in the song? Where is that ANYWHERE? Since when did a man have to be married to be successful? Is it possible that Santa is a BACHELOR? Fromwhence do you suppose the alleged Mrs. Claus arose? Aye, the modern mass matriarchy... Talk about perpetuating gender inequality."

I DID NOT write that... but I have been advised by my legal counsel to keep the writer's name a secret so that he may live a long life... and not get killed by every woman ever.
I thought it was clever, screw you.

On an unrelated note...
Time-travel: Back to the Future and Donnie Darko... a mental exercise
I just bought myself the Back to the Future Trilogy on DVD... because BttF was one of my all-time favorite movies growing up. When I was a kid (WAY BACK) I loved that movie. I wanted to learn how to skateboard and play the guitar... and I wanted a hoverboard SO BADLY when I was a kid. Everything that Michael J. Fox did was the coolest thing ever! Oh man... he was the coolest. (By the way... the flying cars were only 2015... WAY off)
And, in the same vain, Donnie Darko is one of my all-time favorite movies of the present. What do they have in common? Time travel! That's right, kiddies... you're so smart!
Anyway... This leads me to my post, and today it's a question: If you could travel back in time... in your own lifetime (and only your own lifetime), what would you prevent yourself from doing or force yourself to do? What would you do differently?
While I'm absolutely fascinated by time travel, I don't think I could answer that question just yet. I'm going to have to think about it... but there isn't anything that stands out as something I would like to have changed.
I DO have ideas on how to make my life WAY different.... but I don't know if they'd be better. I could go back to the summer before high school and tell myself not to be in band (that would have stamped out my music/singing career before it started)... I could force myself to have stayed involved in drama in high school... I could have decided to go to a different college... I could have not filled out the application to be on the "academic" floor in Wesley at Albion (that would've made things different)... I could have rushed a frat (I had two opportunities)... I could have left Albion after my second year like I had been planning... I could have gone somewhere different after I graduated... and so on. The possibilities seem endless... and it's interesting to imagine how things would have worked out differently if your choices had been different.
But I'll spend some actual time and think about when I really would like to go back to talk to myself and tell myself to do something differently.... I think it's a neat way to pass my time.

In other news, I've been off work for a while, but I start again tomorrow (Friday) night... and I'll be working for five days in a row (and maybe six... I still don't know). I had a great day with my sister... and we talked about things... and our lives parallel and intersect and it's weird, but that doesn't comfort me. It seems like, recently, nothing does.... no matter what people say to me, they can't possibly understand the intersection of all the crappy things that have happened separately which have combined to bring me... here. This place... right now. Some people understand new, big cities, but not the loneliness... some people understand the loneliness, but not the uncertainty... some understand the uncertainty, but not what it's like to be in a new place... and so on.
"I miss the way things used to be with certain people." Cryptic and vague, yes... but applicable to so many people and for so many people. It's why I like thinking about going back in time... but it's also a reason why something from LotRs: Return of the King hit me so hard (as I saw it today). I'll post the actual quote when I find it... but it was basically about moving on with life, despite the hurt that remains from the past... and the longing for the good times from the past as well. It was a wonderful phrase... far better writing than that of which I am capable (DAMN the Latins for not being able to end sentences in prepositions!!!).
Whatever... it's late and you're getting "Rambling!John." Hope you are all having a good break... at home... where love, memories, and happiness should reside. Sweet dreams...

No comments: