Monday, December 22, 2003

Last night... Today... and then lots of Random Stuff
Last night... I started working with Julia at about 5... and, happily, 6:30 started a "rush." And, by rush... I mean that neither Julia nor I had a break from simply serving customers from 6:30 until 10 when we closed. It was just her and I... and a constant line that reached the door. That... sucked... a lot. Not only because I could have used a break... or some food... or a break... but also because I didn't get a chance to chat up Julia. It's ok, though. I wanted to because I knew she was in college (so I figured that she was, I don't know, not 12 years old)... but she's a freshman. And she's a bit annoying, in a "I'm too mature to think that you're funny... even though I would've found that funny about four months ago" way. So that sucks. And I'm seriously thinking about looking for another job (or just a different job... but this is a different story).
Speaking of girls who are too young... I spent six hours at work today with Emily, a 17 year old young lady. Do you remember High School? Because I got a HUGE dose of it today... the stupid relationship issues, the gratuitous swearing, the whole "binge drinking and smoking is cool"... high schoolers are lame. And, what's more, I think she was trying to flirt with me... a lot. I don't understand you women... the more obviously annoyed I was with her... the more apathy with which I conversed with her... the more she seemed to like me. You fucking stupid women... it's like you're looking for men who treat you like shit and don't care about you. What is that??? Are you all idiots... or is this just a phase you all go through in High School? >sigh< Girls are dumb.
And so... to combat all the female stupidity that surrounds me... I would like to venture into the deep and philosophical world that is Huxley's "Brave New World."
So Brave New World is a book about a created world in which children are no longer born... but are created by science in a lab. And, for added spice, all the "children" are genetically altered AND are further Pavlovianly conditioned (I know that's not a word... but it communicates meaning, so it's just as good as a real word). I'm only three chapters in... but I think it's good so far. So far in the book, we've been introduced to the process by which children are born: They are genetically altered to be either an Alpha, Beta, Delta, or Gamma... and these Greek letters designate the class system of the new society. Alphas are the upperclass... and are giving every advantage. Gammas, on the other hand, are starved of oxygen at points before their birth... are repeatedly subconsciously told they are not as good as the others... and they are conditioned to hate books (using electric shocks... yes! I can't believe it either!).
I know that the book will eventually get into how this is wrong for society... and everyone will learn a valuable lesson... but let's think about why this form of society isn't that bad (at least for me). Just think about how easy it would be to grow up in a society where you already knew what you were going to do when you grew up... think about how little pressure there would be. When you're young, you know exactly what you're going to do when you grow up... so you can free your mind to think about other things, or to do other things. I know what you're thinking... "but you might not be happy in that life, John... what about that?" Ok, kiddo... the thing is that they condition you to love where you're going to end up in life. You're conditioned to love where you are... what you're doing. Currently... this seems like a good system to me, as deciding for myself isn't really working that well. And the pressure that I feel... the pressure of my potential and the pressure of the invenstment made in me by SO many people... the pressure I've put on myself... it's just overwhelming. All that pressure would be gone if I didn't have a choice... if I had to follow some pre-destined path.
Speaking of destiny... let me tell you one of the overlooked reasons why the Lord of the Rings is a great movie trilogy (forget the books... I'm only going off the movies, k?): The story of Aragorn... the King of Men. The story of Aragorn is the story of fulfilled potential... of facing and living up to ones destiny. It's exactly the kind of story I am really interested in... not the stupid "against all odds" storyline of Frodo and the ring... how trite is that shit? "Oh... I'm going to root for the underdog"... Bullshit! Let's write stories about infinite potential... and using, not wasting, that potential. That's Aragorn's story... and I'd like to see more of that. But, unfortunately, Aragorn's story has the added element of "knowing one's destiny." That is interesting... but I'd really rather have a story with potential and no clear destiny... let's have a story about someone who can do anything, rather than "pigonholing" someone into one job. But I guess I'm just projecting my own wants... whatever... I'm a writer, I'll write something just for me.
Speaking of me... I love football, and I've been playing Fantasy Football since I started college. This year is the first year I won't win the league... and I think it's ok because Fantasy football has really ruined my enjoyment of football. I can no longer root for the people/teams I like nor can I root against the people or teams I hate... I have to root for the guys on my team, even if I hate them. I think I might not play next year... just so I can enjoy football again. I don't know... we'll see.
Speaking of football, the Packers are my favorite team (obviously)... and Brett Favre is my favorite player. He lost his father to a heart-attack yesterday... and he's playing tonight. And he's not just playing... he is OWNING the Raiders. I can't imagine doing ANYTHING the day after my dad died... much less working and performing at a VERY high level. He is an incredible man... and he and his family will be in my thoughts.
I don't want my dad to die, either... just so you know.
PS Fake snow in commercials pisses me off. Don't you think I know what real snow looks like??? Don't treat me like I'm an idiot... I've seen snow... I've lived in snow... I'm made of snow... wait, that was Jack Frost. Nevermind....
I don't know when I'll be able to post again, as I'm going to need to send my laptop in to get a new hard drive... SO, Have a CRAZY Christmas everyone... and a Crazy New Year.

No comments: