Saturday, June 05, 2004

Ouch! My hammy!
Former President Ronald Reagan died today. There's nothing funny about this... I feel that Reagan was a kind-hearted man. But I also feel that he instituted some of the worst economic programs in the history of the United States. It's his "trickle-down" economics which I feel is the epitome of the Republican mentality... the rich get richer. Plus there was Iran/contra... and more sneaky assassinations of foreign leaders than you could shake a stick at... but, on the positive side, his wife Nancy kind of looked like my grandma... so there's always that. Plus! He played the Gipper in Knute Rockne All American... a movie about the greatest college football program in the history of the world (take THAT Michigan fans!).
I watched Thir13en Ghosts on SciFi tonight. The problem with this particular movie is one that plagues a lot of movies of its kind. It's kind of the same problem I have with Identity (See my Rant on April 20, 2004), in that I love it until the end of the movie when I realize how stupid the whole plot of the movie really is. This movie had an extra reason for me to say "ehh... not so great" which a lot of other horror movies have too: I don't care if most of the characters die. To be honest, Tony Shalhoub (Monk) and Matthew Lillard are the only characters I want to see live. I mean, Shannon Elizabeth's in the movie too, and I find myself rooting for the ghosts to kill her (or rip her shirt open for no reason, which actually happens [awesome!]).
It is my belief that the Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy in all of sports. Yes, even better than the professional football trophy which carries the name of a former coach of my team. I mean, the dudes with the gloves, everyone's name, the pure SIZE of it, the superstition that you won't win it if you TOUCH it... it is an AWESOME trophy. I was talking with Laura about it... and if I was given the chance to touch the Stanley Cup, I don't know if I would. I would be too superstitious that the Wings wouldn't win it again in my lifetime if I did.

No comments: