Monday, October 20, 2003

Here's a list I made sometime last week:

Top Five things that make me feel lonelier than I thought they would
5) Picking out my own cereal (cereal is the ultimate compromise with your roommate... because there's no way you both like the same cereals... it just doesn't happen... one man's Froot Loops is another man's bowl of multi-colored crap)
4) Having complete control of the remote all the time (every once in a while, you want to be forced to watch crap just because it's a good way to find new shows... like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)
3) My own closet (nothing says "yes... you are living on your own" like having the proper amount of closet space for all your stupid clothes)
2) A cold bed at night (this one goes without saying, doesn't it? But I used to love the feel of a cold bed at night... weird, huh?)
1) My own box of cookies (when I was younger, it never seemed like I got enough of the cookies... they were always eaten before I felt like I was done eating them... you know? But now that I can have my own box... I have one or two cookies and that's all I can handle. So a single box of cookies lasts months when you live by yourself.)

Of course this list was made before I got sick. Yes... getting sick when you live by yourself is probably about as lonely as you can feel... as there is no one around to take care of you and walking two miles to get nyquil is just a bit much... This leads me to...
CrazyJohn on colds-
I don't know if there's anything worse when you have a cold then to go outside and have it be a bright, sunny day. Walking around a warm city with a runny nose and coughing and just feeling tired... is not cool. You want the weather to match your mood... you want it to be cloudy and maybe some rain... but not all "happy" and "sunny."
But, like I said before, it's really feeling weak and crappy that allows the loneliness to really kick in. But it's ok... and do you know why, kiddies? It's ok because of the Ruben Salazar Bilingual Education Center. That's right!
So there is a map of the United States on the road near the Salazar Center... and I'm sure that the kids there learn where they live in relation to the rest of the country. A wise women was recently interested by this... as she had always learned she lives here >point to Michigan< and now she lives in a different state. All the children in her new state live with a different sense of place, a different sense of home... and this thought finally hit me today as I saw the children playing on the map of the US. There's a freedom that comes with living somewhere that isn't midwestern Michigan... and I've finally realized it today. None of these kids will have to worry about getting around the lakes to go to a different state.... the way I did. Even people from Detroit can't possibly understand it, as going to Ohio for them is a simple task. But living in Midwestern Michigan... it feels like every other state is SO FAR away. I feel it's like living in Alaska or Hawaii.... not that it would be bad to live in either of those states, but sometimes you just want to go to Montana, you know? And there is such a block mentally living in an area where it's hard to get to another state... I would think southern Florida would be the same way as well. But, other than that, I really don't see how anyone else would feel as isolated as those areas of the country. But I needn't feel that isolation any more. If I want to go to South Dakota, or Iowa, or Alabama (for some reason) I could... there's nothing in my way (besides time and money, but what are those to an unemployed comic? Don't answer that).
Wow... all the cold medicine has really put me in an odd mood. Maybe I should take some more and see if I can fly out of my window? Or maybe I should take some MORE and see if I can FLY out of my window. OR I'll just watch PCU because it's a funny movie. Or I'll pass out... one of these things will happen, I'm sure.

No comments: