Friday, October 31, 2003

CrazyJohn on Halloween-
Yes, kiddies, it's Halloween again. And I'm sure you all want to know why I dislike it so much... as I'm sure you all know that Halloween isn't my "thing." I think it has a lot to do with the bastardization of the actual holiday... transformed from a day of the dead; for some a day to honor the souls of the dead (like saints), for others a day to mess around with witchcraft, voodoo, and the like, for still others a day to think that butterflies carry the souls of the dead and this makes them happy for some reason, and, for Druids, a day to sacrifice things... lots of things.
But what, my dear children, do you think of when you think of Halloween now? You think of crappy costumes, candy, and (if you're a bit older) just another reason to get drunk and act like an idiot. Oh... yes... you dressing up like J Lo and acting like a whore is exactly what the Celts had in mind.
I guess a lot of the problem I have has to do with the "come as you aren't" concept. As an idealist, I feel that you should have the freedom to be, dress, and act however you want to be, dress, or act... and relying on a holiday to let you feel free is pretty weak (almost as weak as relying on alcohol to do the same thing).
And I know there will be people who say that Halloween is just fun... but I'm not buying. Yes, I'm sure that Halloween can be fun with friends, creativity, and a level of ignorance that only adult beverages can bring... but these are all things to which I am not exactly "privy." >sigh<
Hell, people, it's not exactly like I LIKE being a bastard about everything all the time... it's just what I do best.
And there ARE holidays I like. Surprised? I even made a list...

My Top Five National Holidays that I Actually Like
(Honorable Mention: Saint Patrick's Day... It's the only day that I can feel good about my huge head, large ears, and bright red facial hair... and it's my Susan's Birthday and she's the greatest)
5. Memorial Day- Great memories from High School... parades... honoring those who have died for this country... picnics... hamburgers... it's a good day.
4. Easter- Chocolate... honoring the resurrection of Christ... and for us Catholics, finally being able to eat chocolate, swear, have sex, or whatever we gave up without having to worry about eternity in Hell... hooray!
3. New Year's Day- Staying up late with friends... pretending the new year won't suck ass like the last year... lots of hope... and a full DAY of college football!
2. Christmas- Birth of Christ... presents... tree... lights... snow... that's pretty much it as far as this holiday is concerned.
1. Thanksgiving! Yeah... Thanksgiving is probably easily my favorite holiday. It's a whole day to think about how good you have it, while eating WAY TOO MUCH food (I'm a fat man, remember?) and watching football. How could anything be better than a day of food and football? I don't know... but we get time off school to figure it out. And it's a day for family... which is probably why Christmas and Thanksgiving are #1 and 2... while the other days are nice, Christmas and Thanksgiving are family-centered holidays... and I think that is what really says "holiday" to me. Hooray for Steenos! And I'm done... Have a Happy "Get Candy Just For Dressing Up and Asking For It" Day.
Hmm... I think I'll dress up like a sane person today. Have a sane day.

No comments: