Saturday, May 08, 2004

College Graduation... the first day of the rest of your life
It just came to me, while "resting" this afternoon (I was tired enough to nap, but I ended up just lying there sweating) that today was Albion College's graduation... class of 2004. Graduation is an interesting day... it doesn't feel nearly as monumental as it should. It honestly is the first day of the rest of your life... unless you decide to "hide out" in grad school. And there's no shame in going to grad school... but it is basically hiding out... trying to keep "life" from happening (unless, of course, your chosen profession forces you to go to grad school because there's "too much" to teach you in four years at college). Hell... I would've gone to grad school, but I didn't know where to hide (also my problem playing hide and seek, but this is another story).

Anyway... to the Albion College Graduating class of 2004, I would like to say this: Don't be afraid... just get out there and go for it. Whether you feel it or not, Albion has prepared your mind for whatever lies ahead of you. Don't even worry about not knowing "what you're doing"... no one knows what they're doing, just do something. Find something that makes you happy, and do it.
"But John," you say "I don't know what makes me happy." I've been there... I know how you feel. You know some things that don't make you happy, right? Don't do those... and try to figure something else out. You've got plenty of time... don't be so "in" to whatever you're doing that you won't take six months or a year and so something else if it comes up. Enjoy the freedom that your youth and lack of commitments gives you.
And that's really all I have to say about that >Forest Gump gets down from the podium<

No comments: