Monday, May 31, 2004

Another Second City Performance
Last night was my second Second City performance. Dave, Keith, Sal, and I performed two skits and one song written by us (Dave and Keith respectively), directed by us (mostly Dave), and produced by us. It was just like we used to do back in Big Rapids (If by "we" I mean me and other people who aren't Dave, Keith, or Sal)!
The first scene was set in a bar in Chicago. Keith's character wonders when the Cubs season starts, as he's sick of gymnastics on the tv in the bar. My character then enters and hilariously explains that, since Bush lifted the ban on gay marriage, the whole world has turned gay. Even I, the hard-nosed Chicagoan bar-goer that I am, am married to Joe Kawalski. The humor came from how matter-of-fact and "straight" I played the ridiculousness... and that Bush told us that if he were to lift the ban on gay marriage, it would run rampant (and it has). Honestly... it's a very funny scene, and I think that the audience really liked it.
The song was played by a group who was in front of a church... and the title of the song was "Everybody wants to be like Jesus". And the chorus is as follows: "Everybody wants to be like Jesus, But Jesus wants to be like me". The crowd absolutely loved the song... we KILLED with the song... they were totally into it. We even got them clapping along at one point.
Then the last scene was about Jesus, Buddha, and Gandhi (played by me, the "thin" one) on a tv talk show. The problem with this scene is that it's static... none of the characters being interviewed move, so there are three of the four people on stage just standing still. I think that makes this particular scene drag... and it could've been better.
But the crowd still reacted very positively to our group... and that was great. I had one dude come up to me and say "I had tears in my eyes" which I think means he was laughing very hard. Either that, or we were so bad that he was crying and wanted to let me know so that I would jump off a tall building.

It was incredible to see my parents again. I keep forgetting how much I miss my family when I don't see them for months at a time. And, like I said earlier, I really am starting to feel trapped here in Chicago. I am probably going to see them once a month for the next three or four months... and then the store will be back to not being so crazy that I won't have to worry about it much. Hooray for not working! And hooray for school!

No comments: