Monday, May 03, 2004

Trying to get back on stage...
Before I write about my one true love (the stage... which never leaves me, I leave it), let me just talk briefly about last night. I was having a good day... lounging around, reading, watching some sports, I had taken a nap in the afternoon... I was just preparing for a night where I could finish my script. Then I got a call... there was no keyholder on the shift tonight, so would I come in? Honestly, I was about to tell Andrea 'no' when I remembered that this was, in fact, my job. So at around 9:00 at night I went into work to help close the store. It was slow enough and there were enough workers (5 in fact) that a lot of the stuff was done before we even closed the store. Unfortunately for me, this left me with lots of people standing around doing nothing and me trying to figure out what they can do so that I can concentrate on counting the registers. I ended up staying like twenty minutes later than everyone else just because I couldn't juggle telling people what to do and counting. I suck.
Anyway... on a happier note, May 16th is rapidly approaching and, ergo, so is my first Improv show. When I first started thinking (read: daydreaming) about the show, I thought that my class would be the greatest level C class ever and that we'd just bring the house down. But, more recently, I have the feeling that we'll be stupid and unfunny like everyone else. I'm at a point now where I just want to get it over with... I don't think we'll be any more or less funny than anyone else, I just am sick of worrying about it. I should worry about something else.
I've got an idea! How about Dave and Keith from my class sign us up for a slot in the Skybox?! How about they sign us up for 15 minutes in the Skybox for May 30th?! Okay great! That's what they did! >sigh< So we've got a couple scripts together and we have exactly 15 minutes on stage to do whatever we want, and we're going to start practicing next Sunday. We'll be doing one of Keith's songs (which is hilarious... maybe... it'll be good music, regardless, because Keith is awesome) and two of Dave's scripts. One of them is akin to the SNL "Da Bears" skits of the mid/late 80s... and I'm pretty sure that one is great. The other one is okay by my estimation, and it'll probably go first. So it goes. That's that... 15 minutes on May 30th... just four or five guys doing some comedy. Just like I did in the old days... before many of you were born (I'm speaking to my exs).
Also, not to get anyone's hopes up (even though my hopes are up [gross]), I'm auditioning for the Writing Level 5 show. For those of you who saw it with me (I mean Amber and Jim), that was the show I made you guys see. For those of your who didn't see it (everyone who is not Amber nor Jim)... the Writing Level 5 show is something that I'll be writing for if I make it to Level 5 (I'll be in Level 3 come May 17th). So it's basically schmucks like me, only schmucks who have been writing at the Second City for four more months than I have. Level 4 is the actual writing of this show and then Level 5 is the production... so every term a group of actors is needed to perform for these shows, and this term I hope I'm one of them. The actors perform about a dozen 5 minute scenes... and I think each actor is only in 6 of them tops, so it shouldn't be too difficult. I think the tough thing will be keeping the show fresh while performing the MONTHLONG RUN. Granted it's only one night a week... but it's still over an entire month. That's the longest run I've ever had (second to A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum... which I believe was two full weekends, 7 or 8 shows in all [it was a long time ago, I'm surprised I still remember being in it... leave me alone]).

Well... I think I procrastinated long enough... it's time to start writing my script again. Wish me luck, as this is the last class of Level 2. I'll soon move on to bigger and better things... or just higher numbered classes.

No comments: