Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Looking in the mirror
Last night I didn't just look in the mirror, I looked at a reflection of the mirror (I've got one of those cabinet mirror things... you know the ones). So... something really hit me for the first time: I was seeing myself as everyone else sees me. I mean, when you look in the mirror, you're seeing your reflection: everything's reversed, and you're used to that because that's the way you've always seen yourself. But, when I was looking in the reflection of the mirror, for the first time I realized that I was seeing myself how everyone else sees me... and that the way I think of myself, the way I view myself in my mind, is inaccurate... reversed... tainted. I mean, really think about that... sans photographs, the way you see yourself isn't the true way you are... it's always wrong. You never have an accurate mental picture of the way you are.
Smoke on that for a while.

No comments: