Friday, April 09, 2004

Answer: Condoleezza Rice.
Who is a lying ho-bag, Alex?

A good friend of mine told me that I should post more... so here I go.
Everyone seems to be getting sick. If you see Miss Laura Jeannine Kraly walking the street, wish her well. She apparently has come down with mononucleosis. That really sucks. And, Laura? If you've ever wanted revenge on me for any of the horrible things I've done, might I suggest making out with me. This will give me mono and punish me bigtime >squee!<. Oh yes... a terrible lesson would be learned by me.

Okay... now onto the title of this piece. No, I didn't watch the 9-11 Commision's questioning of Dr. Rice (Note: her title should be read with sarcasm, thank you)... but I did watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, so I've got a pretty good handle on what's going on (you can insert your own sarcasm here). In her statement, Dr. Rice said, and I quote "Almost all of the reports focused on al-Qaida activities outside the United States, especially in the Middle East and North Africa. In fact, the information that was specific enough to be actionable referred to terrorist operations overseas. More often, it was frustratingly vague." That quote is taken directly from the statement she made today from the National Commission On Terrorist Attacks in the United States website. However... when asked the name of a specific briefing (PDB) of the President on August 6th, 2001 (I believe is the date), she responded (and I'm paraphrasing until I can find her quote), "al-Qaida plan to directly attack the United States". Hmm... Dr. Rice had, like any politician, weaseled her way out of answering most of the questions in a direct manner... then came out and told the truth flat out. She turns on her politics later when she says "The PDB does not say the United States is going to be attacked. It says bin Laden would like to attack the United States. I don't think you, frankly, had to have that report to know that bin Laden would like to attack the United States." (That taken from the transcript of the Hearing from the First Coast News website [an ABC and NBC news group out of Jacksonville, FL]). Hey... found the title that she said (thanks again to the First Coast News website), and I quote this time "I believe the title was, Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States." Ta Da!

In other political news, Rodney King (of the LA beating/Riots fame) is headed to prison. He was apparently under the influence of some PCP when he smashed his SUV into a pole after reaching speeds of over 100 miles per hour. (This taken from the San Jose Mercury News website) Now, I'll probably catch some slack for this... but lost in the shuffle of his beating by the LA Police was the fact that he did something to warrant being pulled over. And, apparently, he didn't learn anything from his run-in with LAPD. Now this is the very reason why The Laramie Project is such a brilliant play... because one of the characters (or maybe a few... I wasn't paying attention) talks about Matthew Shepard and says that maybe he did something to deserve what came to him. Far be it from me to say anyone deserves a beating of any kind... but let's not make a Saint or martyr out of this man, either. Mr. King needs to set his priorities, and perhaps use the gift/curse that is his fame for the greater good of his community: Lean on the police to have higher standards of when/how to use force; let people know of their rights; and help bring a sense of unity to his community. I mean, if he endorsed a program to unite the police with the honest citizens of his community... everyone would go for it. Or maybe I'm being too idealistic because I just spent some time on the phone with someone who makes me that way. Either way.

No comments: