Sunday, April 25, 2004

John speaks on Day One of the Draft
All I can do is shake my head at my Packers, who selected not one but two cornerbacks with their first two picks. Cornerback was/is not a need position for the Pack, so I find it very difficult to understand spending our first two picks on CBs. I also find it difficult to understand why Ahmad Carroll was picked in the first round, when it didn't seem like he was on any other team's list. We certainly could have traded out of the first round and still gotten Carroll.
We then traded out of the second round to get a third and a forth round pick... Okay... that was good, let's get quantity over quality or whatever. The Packers have always been really good at getting quality out of late round picks, so I'm not unhappy about it. Ok... now let's do something with our third round picks. So what do we do with our first third round pick? Take another cornerback?! What? And it's some dude from Division I-AA? Whatever! God!
THEN we trade up to get a Defensive Tackle: Donnell Washington. This may or may not be a good move... I hear this guy is okay. But, again, defensive tackle was/is not a need position. We NEED a defensive end who can pass rush. AND, we traded BACK the fourth round pick that we had just traded for... so good-bye to our fourth round pick for this guy. Geez!
THEN we trade our other fourth round pick AND our only fifth round pick to trade up for B.J. Sander, a PUNTER from Ohio State in the third round. Great! We trade up to get a punter in the third round. Let me tell you all a little something about the NFL draft. No one takes kickers... kickers can go the second day, in the fourth or fifth rounds TOPS. I believe I heard something about Mr. Sander being the highest drafted punter ever. Because no one drafts punters. I just have to sit back and shake my head at whatever idiot is in charge of the draft for my team. So now we basically have three non-need positions filled and we reached for two of our picks AND we've only got a sixth and two seventh round picks left. I hate my team.

On better notes, the Lions and Bears have dramatically improved their teams by not wasting their picks on idiots. Lions will have a much improved offense and the Bears will have a better defense... and my Packers will sure as hell be able to punt! >sigh< Anyway, the Vikings I guess are better... but the suck so hardcore that it's tough to tell.
From the offseason acquisitions, I'm making a few bold predictions: Bears 10-6, Packers 9-7, Lions 8-8, Vikings 5-11. I don't know if the Lions are going to pass the Packers yet... as the Lions' defense is still pretty pourous. The Bears' Offense is going to be pretty good with Grossman at QB and the Defense will be SO GOOD.

And here comes day two...

No comments: