Saturday, April 24, 2004

DRAFT DAY SPECIAL!
If you thought my posts about baseball or hockey were boring, you're going to HATE today. I'm planning on posting my thoughts about the NFL Draft as it happens. Sound boring do you? Skip today.
Speaking of football, Pat Tillman, safety for the Arizona Cardinals, was killed in a 'fire fight' in Afghanistan yesterday. I realize that it happens over there, and we shouldn't make his story more heroic than the others who are doing the fighting for us... but Pat Tillman DID give up millions, MILLIONS, to enter the Army. To fight for what he thought was right... and that is heroic. God bless the Tillman family.
Having said all that, I can't believe what the Cardinals are doing in his honor. They are naming the plaza surrounding the new stadium being built the "Pat Tillman Freedom Plaza". That's a very nice gesture... but let's think about the word in there that doesn't belong: freedom. Last time I checked, America's freedom didn't rest on what happens in Afghanistan. Plus, I hate to say it, but who gives a shit if people in Afghanistan are free? I'm sure you idealists out there care, but I don't. I'm not willing to sacrifice my friends so that people in Afghanistan can vote. Did anyone see what happened in OUR last election? Maybe the voting process doesn't work... maybe we should fix it before sacrificing our men...
>sigh< I'm going to go back to worrying about football... 100 yards where things make sense and are as fair as humans can make them. Speaking of which... do I remember my only tennis partner whose name just happens to be the same as a former Green Bay Packers' receiver? Um... yeah Rob Brooks... I do remember. What a weirdo!

No comments: