Friday, November 07, 2003

This is really odd... but I really don't have anything to say. I didn't really have anything to say yesterday either (as if you couldn't tell)... so I'm just going to start typing and maybe I'll stumble upon something that has actually been bothering me... like your face. Ok, I'm kidding... I would totally do you.
First... I think it's about time that I shamelessly plug a couple of sites. The first site has been around a lot longer than my own, and is somewhat (by somewhat, I mean totally) responsible for this little site upon which I rant so frequently. So, check out Laura's Live Journal for a bunch of interesting posts... not updated very regularly, but check it out for all kinds of quizzes... or just if you want to know what's going on with Laura (I'm assuming you know Laura, since you know me).
Also... there's a new blogger on the loose. Yeah... that's right... in yet ANOTHER attempt to be just like me, Mr. John Sellers has his own blog. I know... I can't believe it either... but, anyway, if you want actual wit and creativity instead of the vulgar toilet humor you find on this page, check out Aspiring editorial whores unite! and enjoy :)
Ok, good... now that I've shamelessly plugged my friends... hmm... now what. That totally wasn't even a sentence. Neither was that. I think that was also not an actual sentence... but this is... a sentence... ok...
I still haven't heard from the places to which I applied about my applications... but I'll probably make some calls tomorrow. I would very much like to know whether or not I'm at least going to have an interview by the time I head up to Madison this weekend. BIG Packers Monday Night Football game this Monday!!! Hooray for tickets!!! Hooray for football!!! One of the few things I still think I know about >sigh<. On a related note, Jimmy Shy called me tonight because he needed a quick interview for one of his classes. So he started asking me my opinion on the Chicago Bears and their offense and... man... I don't know... but that felt REALLY GOOD... because I felt like I was finally talking about something I know about, you know? He asked things like "Should Rex Grossman be moved down to the third quarterback?" and "Should the front-office of the Bear's organization get involved in insuring the development of quarterbacks?... as the Bears' last project went so poorly." And these are questions I can answer... this is stuff I can talk about (if you don't remember, Cade McNown was the Bears' last quarterback "project"... former UCLA QB... come on! Cade! Lefty! Don't you remember??? Whatever...), and this is stuff that I feel comfortable and confident talking about. Now... if only I could get someone to pay me for just speaking my mind about football... I'd be a rich and happy man. But, alas, all those jobs are given to white men from the midwest. Wait... OH MY GOD! They're me!!!
No... seriously... that would be great. But that's for another lifetime... if things don't work out here in Chicago... I'll go someplace and try to figure out how to get paid to explain how idiotic John Shoop is... and how I'd do better. We'll see how that works out for me.
By the way... I really need to mention this before I forget (like that'll happen, but I want to put it here and I don't know how to fit it in, so screw it). Last week, I was called "brilliant" by a lovely young lady for quite possibly the first time in my life. Now, I may have been called intelligent, witty, and clever before... but always by people who know me really well, and I have always felt it tainted. You know how people who you know really well can seem a lot more beautiful to you if they have a good heart and are caring and loving and so on? I figured it was the same thing for intelligence... you flatter someone and compliment them the more you know them, the more they mean to you. But this person and I have honestly spent less than a days worth of time together... and her opinion couldn't possibly be "tainted" by other endearing qualities. And so her compliment just really hit me, like "wow... people I don't even really know think this? Maybe I shouldn't write it off so easily." And I was so happy I totally could have kissed her (or done things legal only in certain sections of Puerto Rico)!!! I don't know... I think it's tough when you surround yourself with real smart people all your life. In high school my friends were very intelligent with a variety of interests: Jason = Math & Band/Music (yeah... you can be smart at music, ask Jason or Dave Friday), Nate = Geography & Sports, Ken = Computers & history/military history (yeah... even then)... and they were all very smart and I pretty much did the same things that they were doing and I wasn't better than any of them, so I was never "the smartest." In college, I surrounded myself with absolutely brilliant people... Court = Sciences, Laura = Theatre & Theatre history, Susan and others were better actors, Sellers = English & Vocabulary & Smart-assness (I made it up, but if you know him, you know it's true) and Jim = everything that has ever been thought or said... and, again, these were the things that I was doing, and I again wasn't the best at them. The two things I always thought I was best at in college, I never did... but I came to Chicago to do (comedic improv and comedic writing). Now I'm here, and I see I have a lot to learn... and notice AGAIN that I'm not the best. But this one comment was enough to notice that my quest to be "the best" approaches lunacy. Yes... I am not the best... I will probably never be the best (although that should stop my ambition... moron this some other time), but that shouldn't stop me from believing that I'm in the top 10% of people in a lot of different categories. For instance, see the earlier ramblings on football... who the hell knows what I'm saying except for sports writers or Bears fans? There was a point, earlier in my life, when I could've listed every NBA player in the league (I believe we're talking early to mid-90s)... there was also a point when I could memorize almost an entire movie's dialogue after seeing it once (but this was before my head was stuffed with useless crap... thank you Albion College)... And, no I couldn't tell you which philosopher said what, but I can listen to you talk about what you think and explain to you exactly where your logic fails and point out possible problems in your idealogy.
Wow... my writing instructor would be proud... he keeps telling us to write whatever, but to write every day... and it's tough to start writing with nothing and come up with something... but that's why you have to keep plugging through it. >sigh< The point of this whole rambling is that this is obviously a very odd time mentally and emotionally... and it's going to take some "I'm great" thoughts to combat the "God, I'm crap" thoughts that keep floating around. Ahh... but what does that matter when I sit in beautiful Lambeau field and watch one of the few things in life which never fails to evoke strong emotions (most of the time it's joy... but you've all seen what I'm like after a bad Packer loss... yeah). Mmm... football... >drool<
Have a crazy weekend all! Just in case I don't get a chance to post from the frozen north!

No comments: