Sunday, March 07, 2004

Abby's 21st Birthday Pre-Party
Ok... so I gave myself today off... just because I could. So I spent today playing Metroid and watching TV... for the most part. There was a brief intermission half-way through the day so that I could talk to my folks (who I haven't talked to in a while). I talked to them for a good/long time... both parents wanted to check up and see about my plans for the next few weeks AND to nail down a time when they could visit me. It'll probably be Easter weekend, after my BIG trip to Vegas :)
Speaking of which... Ken called. We were talking (like we do) when I got a call from Abby (from work) on my call waiting. I thought to myself "Self... I wonder if there's a problem at the store. what do you think?" And I didn't reply. Not because I'm not talking to myself, because I can forgive me for sleeping with someone else, BUT because I took her call instead. Low and behold there was no emergency at the store... she actually invited me to a party at her house tonight: her 21st birthday is Tuesday! And I was like "when and where?" but I didn't commit. Then I got back on with Ken and we finished our conversation and I asked him what he thought. "Go for it, dude" (or something to that effect) was his reply.
By the way... what's up with girls from work inviting me to parties all of a sudden? Two invites in two days? I mean... is there some kind of six month waiting period in a city before you can be invited to a "gathering"? You tell me... since you're so smart! Yeah... that's what I thought!
So I went >shrug<. When I got there, there were people playing poker at a table and some more people in the back having snacks. I introduced myself NOT because Abby was a bad hostess (which is not the case) BUT because her parents came in shortly after I did. Yeah... her parents. Um... what? I think that some of the people at the party thought that I had brought them. What a great first impression! Yeah... so I introduced myself to everyone (kind of)... and made my way to where I feel most comfortable: the kitchen.
Whilst in the kitchen, one of the people there (Matt? I think) asked me if I ever played Temco Bowl... and I was like "yeah... that was a great game" to which he said "You wanna play? I've never been defeated. Never lost". Now... for those of you who aren't men (that would make you women), this is the kind of guy who I like to refer to as a "cock." This is the HIGHLY competitive guy who ONLY competes with other guys. This kind of guy ticks me off... so in my head I'm thinking "I'm going to kick your ass", but I'm also thinking "I would REALLY like to make some friends", but I say out loud "Sure... I don't mind losing," which is the only way to handle a competitive cock.
So we play Tecmo Bowl for the Nintendo... he's Chicago (hometown boy) and I'm New York (LT, baby!). And we both score in the first quarter... so that ends in a 7-7 tie. And then I (probably literally) outsmart him the rest of the game... and I end up kicking his ass 24-7. Yeah... that's right... this guy who says that he never loses, lost to me 24-7. I bascially ripped him a new asshole. So... hooray for me, right? Well... (I love it when I do that) his friend (Kyle... one of two that I met tonight) said that he'd challenge winner, so he did. He was Chicago (hometown boy) and I was... New York. We play... his defense is better, his offense is worse. I beat him... 20-7. Wow! Two in a row! I'm not making any friends this way! So I'm outta here, right? Right? Well... their friend Andrew challenges me. He was Chicago (hometown boy) and I... f--k it, you know I was New York... I was on a roll, what do you want from me??? Anyway... his defense is better still and his offense is pretty good too... and there was honestly a section of the game where the ball was on my twenty or so and we went back and forth exchanging possessions (real men don't kick field goals). I eventually beat him, like 13-6. So THAT was it... I had had enough. And by enough, I mean one beer... so I didn't want to try to play anymore. But Nate and Matt would have been proud because I OWNED at Tecmo Bowl. OWNED!
For a while I was in the kitchen... watching the interaction between all the people that Abby knows (mostly men... ok... there were about 75% guys). Abby asked me if I was ok... did I want another beer? Um... sure... okay... maybe it'll "help". So I'm quasi-entering into conversations... but mostly just watching... then Abby asks if I'd like to do a birthday shot? Um... ok... Carl(?) says it's cool, that I'm "good guy" (which was the phrase used a couple times tonight... I'm not sure I know what that means). Guess who else did a birthday shot? Abby's dad. That's right. So my first ever shot >tear< was Wild Turkey (yeah... I know) with Abby, some people I didn't know yet, and Abby's dad. THAT'S one for Trivial Pursuit.
Sidenote on shots: If I want something expensive that tastes terrible, is supposed to just be swallowed, burns going down, AND makes me feel a little dizzy... I'll drink Nyquil, okay? Nuff said.
But, as stupid as shots are, I was somehow in "the club". I spent a while, actually, talking with Abby's parents after that (it was the dizzyness from the two beers and the shot AND the talking to the parents that made me figure I should stop). Then the parents left... the music got louder, we got louder, and I was 'festive' enough to actually talk to people... and were some pretty cool people there. I talked with an OBVIOUSLY Irish guy named Flynn (looked a little like Hopple, which is weird), and he was cool. And the Andrew I played Nintendo with gets some of the guys there together and they all play soccer. They're actually playing tomorrow, but I'm going to see the Level C show at 11:30 AM and that's EXACTLY when they're going to be playing up in the Lincoln Park area... so poop on the timing. But I've been trying to play soccer for SO LONG and it'll be AWESOME to play again. Awesome.
The night progressed... and I got pretty tired... and so I left. But it was nice... it reminded me of college, except with more drinking. And more parental supervision (weird). And Abby's sister is hot... but young. What the hell? Why can't there be someone who's hot who was born before 1984? Hmm...? Anyone? Yeah... I don't get it either.
But what I need to get is some rest... I'm tired. Hope everyone is sleeping well tonight... you all deserve a good night's sleep. G'night :)

No comments: