Friday, March 12, 2004

Wow... didn't know I offended the "great" Kevin Smith >sticks out tongue<
Wow... ok... sorry to offend all the Kevin Smith fans... but let's look at something, shall we? Let's look at who is in this movie:
Male Lead - "Ollie Trinke" = Ben Affleck
Female Lead - "Maya" = Liv Tyler
Who I can only assume to be another important female role - "Gertrude Steiney' = Jennifer Lopez

Please... PLEASE don't try to tell me that you're excited about a cast that includes those three people. Who would make a better male lead? How about PR Exec #1 or #2 from the same movie? Who would make a better female lead? How about Smith's wife (who is also in this movie)?
Granted... one of the casting directors (Avy Kaufman) was responsible for the casting of "Scotland, Pa" among other good movies... so Avy cannot be shot. But the other person, Diane Heery, probably can be shot.
And, far be it from me to disrespect Kevin Smith. I LOVE his movies... but, let's face it, 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back' wasn't good. I would even go so far as to call it "bad". I only liked it (mildly) because it was a Star Wars spoof and because it contained interesting characters... but interesting characters that were interesting LONG before that movie. If you were to take "Jay and Silent Bob" by itself... you wouldn't find it interesting... the characters are weak and rely on you knowing them from other Kevin Smith films AND the plot of "Jay and Silent Bob" is strained.

So... fine... if you want to blindly head to a theatre and see a Kevin Smith film... go for it. "Jersey Girl" is the one I'm going to skip, unless I can see it for free (by going to the Bohme... oh... wait... I'm too old and useless to get in free. Maybe it'll be on HBO sometime before I move).

GOD... you're all so cute! Can I keep you?

No comments: