Thursday, March 04, 2004

Today, on a very special Rantings: CrazyJohn speaks on the "gay marriage debate", plus he gives up all hope that a woman could ACTUALLY like him
Right... so... I saw Elizabeth >sigh< for the first time since the "date" tonight... and it could have gone better. She avoided eye contact on her way in... and didn't make eye contact for a while. Yeah... so... even if she had fun Monday night, I've somehow made her uncomfortable at work... and I just don't think she's interested in me. Which is... >sigh< which is fine. My sister's right... it's just too hard to date someone you work with... with whom you work. Right.
Anyway... have any of you seen the episode of the X-Files where they think that dude is controlling the weather but really it's Victoria Jackson and she makes it hail heart-shaped hail when she's upset. Remember? Anyway... it was raining when I started walking from work, after seeing Elizabeth >sigh<. And, the more I thought about how crappy it went, the harder it rained. It was weird. Let's talk about something else...

I actually got into the gay marriage debate at work... it was about 6 o'clock, slow, and there were four of us: Abby, Dima, Elizabeth >sigh< and me. Dima represented (fairly accurately) the Moody Bible Institute position... Abby represented the liberal who for some reason still has trouble being liberal on this one issue... Elizabeth >sigh< represented perhaps a liberal conservative or a conservative liberal who is for gay marriages... and I was, well, I was me. Dima gave the "God made Adam and Eve" argument... which is so near-sighted and ignorant that it's honestly not even worth anyone's time or serious consideration. Abby expressed (irrational) fears of a societal breakdown if the family unit is allowed to include same-sex partners... offering the token "next they'll want to adopt children," to which I responded "And why not? There are SO MANY children who need a home, why shouldn't they be given one?" And, honestly, it's insanely pompous for us as a society to make gay couples run through all this bullshit to get children when there are some pretty terrible and hellish people who are allowed to have kids, only because they do it "the old fashioned way." I mean, we have no screening process for all those inbred people from where I'm from... but they still have children (and LOTS of them). Do the children want homes? Yes. Do these people have homes? Yes. What's the problem here? Is the problem the totally STUPID but highly PREVAILANT thought that all gay men are pedaphiles? I mean, seriously! You know that's what some people are thinking... and I don't know where it came from. I guess it's that a lot of pedaphiles (i'll say Males) enjoy young men... thereby giving the apparence that all pedaphiles are gay and, therefore, all gay men are pedaphiles. That makes sense, if you're stupid, which is roughly 93% of the people in this country.
One of the reasons I bring this debate to my blog, is that a dear friend of mine thought that the best solution is to abolish all marriage and simply replace it was a government recognized union. This way, the churchs can still have their marriages... and the government can institute unions that would benefit all couples. This is nice... and kind of the solution I ended up coming up with in the store... but probably not the "best". Getting rid of the "marriage" tag won't work... if you try to move forward with this issue by demolishing the established paradigm... there will be FAR TOO much resistance. The BEST way is for the government to recognize that there IS a seperation of church and state... and that government recognized "marriage" doesn't have to be church recognized "marriage." But doesn't it make sense to keep the label the same? I mean... If you were to lobby the idea of completely getting rid of all marriages, even if it was for the good of a "gay union", I would be against it. I like marriage... I like the concept of marriage... I guess I'm a traditionalist in some ways. But I feel it will be easier for our society to move forward on the issue if we're not trying to destroy the past. I don't see why the government can't have criteria that says "this is a marriage"... even if the churches can't. >shrug< that's all I have to say about that.

And CostCo is the most magical place on earth. Take THAT Disney! :P

No comments: