Sunday, March 21, 2004

CrazyJohn the Manager? I hate decisions
Yesterday morning I got a call from Andrea. She seemed upset about something, so I asked her what was wrong. She jumped into saying that she knows that I'm upset with my current monetary compensation, but that the only way she can think to fully compensate me the way I "deserve" is to offer me the position as manager of the Wells Street store. On a temporary basis, I would be the manager of Wells... to be replaced when other stores (we secured a location on North Ave, near Milwaukee) open and are operating. The timetable she gave me on the phone was 6 months to a year. This she referred to as "temporary." Right... In 6 months to a year, I could be in muthaf--kin South Dakota. Or taking classes at UNLV. Or somewhere in Canada.
The problem with me NOT taking this job, is that I effectively make myself obsolete. I mean, if I'm not manager, then they hire someone to be manager and I'm no longer doing anything at the Wells Street store NOR am I of any use to secure or open new stores. So... what good am I if I'm not managing a store or helping with new ones? I have no idea what I'd do.
BUT, having said that, I can't imagine doing what I did that one week (when I managed the store) for half a year to a year! I would totally burn out... and I'd have no energy to spend on my Second City pursuits. And I'm getting so close to being to a place where I can get some return on my SC "investment"... to a place where I'll actually be back on stage. somewhere i belong.
i haven't been on stage in such a long time... if only the people in Chicago could see me on stage... i wonder if i'll still be as good as i was

No comments: