Thursday, March 18, 2004

Story time
Let me tell you a story... Right after Laura and I started dating, I was invited to the annual Kraly pig roast. If any of you remember, this was a big deal to me... because the pig roast was a big deal to Laura. It wasn't a big deal to her in a "make sure everything's perfect" kind of way... it was a big deal in a "you'll be meeting a lot of really important-to-me people" way. So I was a bit worried about this roast... not only because it was important to Laura and she was important to me, but also because Laura's dad is scary. He likes to shoot things with guns... things like deer, fowl, and people who try to touch his daughter. And, at the time, I was trying very hard to touch his daughter (gross!... I know!... but still, gross!). Anyway... I was nervous about spending time with Laura's dad... and I was VERY nervous about meeting Laura's dad's mom. I mean, if the mom of the dad doesn't like you... then the dad has TWO reasons to shoot and kill you and make it look like an accident.
Anyway... I met Grandma Kraly that day... and we talked for a bit, and she was interested in what I had to say. She listened... she cared... I felt comfortable. By the next time we saw each other (Kyle's graduation party, a month or so later) she was my safety net... saving me from having to meet all sorts of new people. I already felt at ease around her... safe... at home.
Laura's grandma, the incomparable Mrs. Kraly, passed away today. It didn't take much for her to touch my life, I can't imagine how many more lives she touched. What a wonderful woman.
My thoughts and prayers are with Laura, her father, and her family tonight. God bless them.

Just to make Miss Laura Jeannine feel better: Wouldn't the name "Draco Steeno" be way cool? You know it would! Maybe I'll name my second son Draco. I need five sons for a basketball team (it would be a very short team... Shut up!)... although I only need two sons for Wimbleton Doubles Champions. Whatever... don't you worry about my sons' athletic futures... just know that Draco Steeno is a way cool name :)

No comments: