Sunday, January 18, 2004

Dude, Where's my car indeed!
Ok, so... Rhea and Jean and my sister got here Friday and we just hung out at my place after I got home from work. Then, in the morning, I had to go back to work to have a "breakfast meeting" with the entire "Coldstone crew." After that meeting (in which I was introduced as Andrea's assistant... which I guess is what I'm doing now), Andrea and I went right to work. This may have come to a shock to me, since she didn't tell me that I would be doing anything after the meeting and since I wasn't ready for it... but I roll with the punches. I started by being put in charge of getting "that fucking Christmas tree out from the front of the store... and I don't care how you do it. Well, I do care how you do it... nothing that's illegal in the city of Chicago." Sounds like a job for Crazy!John. So, you know, me and Wells Street Willy took the tree, faux cement pot and all, all the way back to the back of the store... this was after a long time spent wondering how to get the tree out of the faux cement pot as it had been frozen in there solid.
So now it's about 11:30 and I know I have guests in my apartment, and I know my hands smell like pine and are sticky thanks to the sap, AND I know that my boss Andrea had started talking about "79% focus on that tree" and 21% focus on something else, whether it be compassion for my fellow crew members or on the fact that the bank we went to for our deposits is run like the "Police Academy"... you know, from the movies. Yeah... I'm not going to lie, the percentages came out of nowhere and it freaked me out a bit, as she kept referring to them. Although, this is the woman who tells me to "let go" of my feelings and use "the force." She's mentioned this a few times, each time referring to the "blast shield" section of 'A New Hope'.
Anyway, I was given tasks by Andrea until about 2 PM... tasks like compiling a list of Coldstone's contacts, contacting a few people about various things including our bills, AND not getting Rhea's car stolen. I was doing so well, too, when I got to the last one on my list: not getting Rhea's car stolen. Hmm... let's look at this from the beginning, shall we?
When I was on my way to the meeting at 10 am, I noticed Rhea's car was not in the spot in which I had told her to park. "Stupid women" I thought to myself, as it is always the woman's fault when things go wrong. This is the extent of my deductive reasoning after 23 years on planet earth... "Global warming?" I'll say, "must be a woman's fault... all that damn hairspray." Take THAT $100,000 Albion education!
Anyway, I called my sister and said that the car wasn't parked in the right place and just went about my business. Then, I got a call from my sister around 2 o'clock saying "where are you... what's going on?"... and then I mentioned the car and... low and behold... Rhea HAD parked in the correct place! So now the mad gauntlet begins... where could the car be? ok... so I called the woman who reserved the spot for me (remember when I had to go to a different building?), Jessica. Jessica was surprised that the car had "disappeared" as she had not gotten it towed. She then called my building for me to talk with the doorman to ask if he had gotten the car towed. Twenty minutes later, she calls me back to say that the doorman hadn't gotten the car towed. Huh? Ok... so I guess I'm calling the police then, after getting back to my apartment and freaking everyone out with the news. It took TWO calls to 911 to even be able to file a stolen vehicle report (and, get this, I was about thirty times more professional about it than the police officer was... he asked who the car belonged to and I said Rhea and he said "You don't sound like no Rita" and I said "Do you need to speak with the owner of the vehicle?" I mean... come on! You're a fucking cop taking a stolen vehicle report... at least PRETEND you give a shit!). The police officer than told Rhea that the car had been stolen. Now it's my turn to play detective. I went downstairs to talk with my doorman about it... and he called the towing company... who didn't know a Chevy Corsica from a Chevy Malibu (even I know THAT much about cars... and I'm lame old me)... and who FINALLY figured out that they had Rhea's car. A twenty minute or so walk later and I'm paying $125 to get the car from the towing company because it was wrongfully towed. I'm THEN going in to see Jessica again, voicing my displeasure and kindly stating that the $125 should be reimbursed to me... and Jessica is very responsive to my tactics, as she reassured me that she would get to the bottom of the towing quandary and then give me a call Monday about how to reimburse me.
So we got Rhea a new parking spot in the other building complex... and I think everything should be fine. In other news, Jean has a particular scent that made me go >drool<... and I was all "I wonder why I'm drooling" until she told me that she was wearing Strawberries and Champagne from Victoria's Secret. Why is this significant, you ask? Well... if you had REALLY been paying attention to this movie, you'd know that that was Amie's scent. It's so weird! The sense of smell is the least understood sense we have... as it seems to be the most DIRECTLY related to memory, and yet we hardly ever use it (we use it to eat... but we don't use smell exclusively... give me a break!). So I remembered that I really liked that smell way before I remembered why. Weird, huh?
Um... so that's really all I have to update. I was supposed to have a visitor or two today... but they couldn't make it. I'd like to say that I'm disappointed... but, honestly, this is not the first time plans to visit me have fallen through, and I wasn't really holding my breath. I just would have been really happy if they could have made it... but, again, not holding my breath.
I have to work tonight... from 6 to close... so I'll miss all or most of the Philly/Carolina game. But I WILL be able to see the Colts/Pats game... and it's snowing... and it might be way neat! Big games in snow are so awesome... and one of the reasons why football is the greatest sport ever. Hooray!!!
>Sigh< I've got SOOO much to do... stupid work. I'll write more later about more stuff that will happen later. That statement makes sense.

No comments: