Saturday, January 31, 2004

What just happened here?
I want to first say that I had to turn on my heat in my apartment for the first time today. It has more to do with yesterday than today. Yesterday was (so I hear) the coldest day in six years (or something). It was at least negative 20 F with the wind chill. Yesterday was SO COLD! But it made me think about this:
Life is like walking in the blowing cold snow. If you know where you're going, you can put your head down and just keep marching forward. But, if you don't know where you're going, you have two options. 1. you can stand still, bearing the cold long enough to see where you're going... and try to plan; OR 2. you can put your head down, march forward, and hope you end up somewhere. My time in Big Rapids was the first... standing still, trying to figure out which way to go. And now, in Chicago, I'm just marching forward with my head down... hoping that I'm going the "right" way.
I know there's no "right" or "wrong" way... but there is. Getting imprisoned: the wrong way. Getting really rich and not having to work ever again: the right way. Isn't it obvious?
Anyway... I stopped by work today and helped Abby clean the ice cream machine. Then there was a "thing" about scheduling... so Abby decided to leave so that other people could have her hours. So what do two ColdStone employees do when they're not working? Eat.
I took Abby to Lunch at Vito and Kessleman's the Italian and Jewish bistro across from The Second City. It's a fairly new place... so neither of us had ever been there. It was a good lunch, we talked shop, we talked soccer (she's a huge Chicago Fire fan), and we talked about her impending move. The man who owns her building sold it without letting Abby and her roommate know that it was being sold, now Abby HAS to move. Anyway, it was a decent lunch... and I left the lunch walking through a beautiful day. The sun shining... and not too cold out, either. And, as I was walking, i thought to myself "I need to take a drive." I was SET on going back to my apartment and driving away... somewhere... anywhere... to get this feeling out of my head. The feeling that I've had for two days... that I should be somewhere else: That I'm in the wrong place.
But I didn't go anywhere. When I got back to my apartment, my legs just stopped working... and I got SO tired. I didn't know what to do with myself... so I started sorting laundry. But I remembered that I HATE laundry... so I stopped, and started watching tv. I watched almost the entire Duke/Georgia Tech basketball game and MAN was it good. It was just a very good game from start to (almost) finish. The Georgia Tech fans were in the game the entire game, having not beaten Duke since 1996. There was just a great electricity to the entire game... it was fun.
And now, here I am watching the end of the Red Wings game (after having skipped most of it). I hope to figure something to do with my night.... and hopefully it's not laundry. G'night.

No comments: