Tuesday, January 06, 2004

First night of Writing Level 1 class plus Adam White and an Open Mic (watch out for sparks):
Hey all... I plan on finishing the Best and Worst lists soon, but I thought I'd let you all know about my night. First of all... I've got both the same Adams from last semester in my class plus these two cool girls Becky and Carrisa. They're all great writers and it'll be fun to hear what they come up with this term. And we've got a new instructor, Rob. He seems like, well, a writer... it's like a forced extroversion/social interaction where he'd much rather be writing by himself somewhere than talking in front of people. I wonder if most of the writers at Second City are going to be like that. Anyway, he said that we're now going to have an assignment every week, and this week are assignment is a Created Character Monologue using these certain guidelines that he gave us. It should be interesting (but not necessarily funny).
After class, Adam White and I went to Burton Place (a bar on Wells) because there is an open mic there every Monday night. It was maybe 10 people (not busy because the college kids aren't back yet), but I was able to see about five minutes of Adam's stand-up. He's good, but he really wasn't trying tonight because there wasn't anyone to perform for... so he was "writing" on stage tonight: seeing if jokes work, trying new stuff, and so on. If he had pushed me, I probably would've gone up there myself, but I really wasn't prepared to do it tonight... so I didn't.
I don't normally talk about particular women on the blog (because I know they read it), but the ex-girlfriend called out of the blue today. It's so weird... when she has free time, she calls me more than my parents do (but they hardly ever call... but they ARE my parents); but once school starts back up for her, we could easily go for a month without communication of any kind. >shrug< I guess I just don't understand what role I play in her life.
Speaking of roles... I just realized last night that Kirsten Dunst would NOT play Amie in a movie about me... Sarah Jessica Parker is a much better "Amie look-alike" than Kirsten is (even though Kirsten would still play Karen).

On a totally unrelated note, I wanted to touch on something that I've been thinking about since New Years. While at New Years, I had two people tell me that someone they know in there "new" place reminds them a lot of me. I hate it when people remind other people of me, because it makes me feel less unique. It seems to be (at least to me) an argument for evolution and against devine creation. Think about it... if there are people out there that "remind you" of someone else, don't you think that means that there are lots of genetic traits that are similar in humans? A lot of DNA that's the same? That maybe there are only a few scores of different types of people, and that all the changes you see are environmental and just due to life experiences? I mean, I'm sorry... but I want to be the only person like me that you will ever know. And I just think that that's not true. You meet enough people, you go to enough places, and you'll find people who remind you of the people who remind you of your close friends or family members. >sigh< I don't want the crap that's happened in my life to be the only thing that makes me ME... I want to think that I'm somehow special independant of the crap that happens. And that, my friends, is the reason many people turn to religion. >sigh< Which I also want to be for me, but looks less and less likely.

What the crap, man? I went to homestarrunner.com to cheer myself up, and there's a new strong bad email. Homsar is HILARIOUS! He's my favorite character because he makes no sense... and he was raised by a cup of coffee (from what I hear).

I guess there was only one thing I needed to add before I go to bed (the rest of the BEST and WORST will have to wait). Check THIS out:
"When Cancer and Capricorn come together, it's a union characterized by tenacity and strong willpower. Capricorn is logical and down to earth; Cancer brings an emotional charge to the relationship. Both have high standards for each other which are tempered by mutual respect. Cancer appreciates Capricorn's dedication and Capricorn admires the tenacity of the Crab. Together, this will be a very successful and secure duo... Cancer can help Capricorn to relax a little and appreciate the rewards of labor. Cancer will also be the one to polish and preserve the fruits of their shared accomplishments. Capricorn can help Cancer achieve goals and keep a check on their Crab-like tendencies, enlightening Cancer to the more important matters of the world. This partnership succeeds due to an iron-clad commitment and a stable, traditional home environment...

Cancer will show Capricorn how to enjoy life and how to appreciate beauty and comfort. Cancer soothes Capricorn's hard edges, while the Seagoat provides a solid foundation that Cancer desperately craves. Capricorn can teach Cancer to be more disciplined and to go out into the world and strive toward goals... Additionally, they are a practical pair, and they rarely have problems caused by one partner trying to live ostentatiously or beyond their means. Cancer and Capricorn are Cardinal Signs. Both are initiatory, active and ardent. Though this can be a catalyst for some dynamite conflicts, it can provide Capricorn with an emotional pillar, as Cancer is entirely dedicated to the relationship. In turn, both can bring new ideas to the table, Capricorn excelling in business and Cancer in emotional counseling...
Their mutual interests, stringent morality and upward spiraling make theirs a highly compatible relationship."
Weird, huh??? Well... if you thought THAT was weird, check THIS out:
"When Virgo and Capricorn come together, it's a pragmatic and sensible partnership. Both Signs are rational and intelligent, and both expect a lot of themself and others. Virgo appreciates Capricorn's dedication and tenacity and Capricorn admires Virgo's practicality and attention to detail. Together they will form a stable, solid union based firmly in reality. This relationship has a strong foundation which is based on material security and a realistic approach to life in general. Neither Sign is ruled by their emotions or impulses and both are dependable and conservative. Virgo can help Capricorn to relax a little and appreciate all they have worked to attain. Capricorn can help Virgo achieve goals and makes dreams a reality through initiation. They live a very comfortable life together... Capricorn can teach Virgo to be more disciplined and to keep focused on goals....
Capricorn can bring new ideas into the picture (particularly in a business relationship) and start new projects that Virgo will enjoy taking over later. These Signs will work well together if Capricorn can initiate ideas and Virgo can continue them.

The best aspect of the Virgo-Capricorn relationship is their dedication to the same ends. Both partners enjoy a secure lifestyle and nice things, and work very well together to achieve their goals -- especially if the goal involves shared resources. Their mutual interests makes theirs a highly successful relationship."

If you didn't know, those were my last two relationships... although "compatible" and "successful" are a bit suspect as far as the end result. Wanna hear something funny? "Try not to feed your Virgo something they don't like. They are exacting and specific about the kinds of food that enters their body." Yeah... knowing that tidbit of knowledge would've helped avoid an argument in a certain Pizza Hut.

Well, fuck, you read something like this and you say to yourself "Self... it looks like there are only twelve kinds of people... and look how predictable I am!" Listen to THIS: "Capricorn, once ready, will commit to you completely and will become the most dependable and constant force in your life. Always mean what you say and do what you say you will do. Your Capricorn will show you how to be persistent, faithful and dedicated.... Capricorns are endowed with a deep sense of loyalty and will always work for the benefit of the people and causes that they consider important." I mean... that sounds more like me than something that I could write about myself. My values... the things that I hold dear, are as predictable as when I was fucking born??? What kind of shit is that?
>sigh< And then there's irony: " No one has a better sense of humor than the Capricorn." That's fuckin' right. So suck it, bitches... because I'm funny and am, by "nature", a high-achiever.
And I'm one tired high-achiever... looking forward to another day of not working. I think I'll sleep in again, as I haven't been sleeping much or well in the past few weeks. Too much to think about... Andrea (mah manager) says that I don't let go, which is true, and something I'm resolving to do this year. It'll make things a lot easier on me.
Goodnight all.

No comments: