Friday, January 02, 2004

2004: What a Crazy New Year
Happy New Year everyone who still reads this. And, boy do I have stuff... let's get into it.
December 30th, I drove back to Big Rapids just in time to bring my checks to the bank. I got there about fifteen minutes before they closed the lobby, so I didn't bring my tips in to get counted/deposited. I DID count it before I got there, but there's no way anyone's going to want to count fifty ones (50 ones!), so I still just have the cash. Oh well... that cash is just for me to blow on useless stuff for myself (I've decided), so I don't need it in the bank. And, it's fun to have a wad of cash to play with (and confuse whores with).
Anyway... I just deposited mah loot and went back to the Casa de Steeno. It was nice to see my parents for about two minutes... and then I gave Ken a call and he and I attempted to switch hard-drives in this here laptop. After successfully switching the hard drive, I was happily surprised to see that I was sent a completely blank hard drive (yes... we have no operating systems). Right... so Ken and I watched a couple episodes of "Band of Brothers" while I put things like Windows and Office and, you know, Windows on my laptop. Then Jason came over and we played N64 (basically Mario Kart) until Rhea came over. After Rhea came over, it was more tv watching... except we watched the OLN because it had a WICKED COOL show about paintball that's like a paintball/video game show. It's like live action paintball the video game... but it's British, so every talks like an idiot (take that Brits).
Right... it's a cool show... and I ended up staying up until about 5 in the morning. Which was neat, because it was great to see everyone again... but it also sucked because >yawn< that's late.
And it was late not just because it was late, but also because this sentence doesn't make sense. No... but also because I had to drive over to Saginaw. Yes... and, being me, I was late. But not because I'm stupid this time... but because of this here laptop, and it's inability to load its own drivers properly (I have since fixed the problem). But whatever... I was able to head to Saginaw to see Amber, Courtney, Sellers, Randi, and Sarah... and it was great! It was so nice to see everyone again... I had forgotten what it felt like to be in a room of people who make me feel comfortable. It's weird... because I have been in situations with people who make me feel comfortable, but it's different when there are six instead of just four. There's a different vibe to the room... a group dynamic... that makes it completely different from just being in a room with three other people. >shrug< I don't know, the only times I've been in a group since I graduated have been at classes... and I don't feel comfortable yet.
But the "crew" and I ate lots of food, played Catch Phrase (Court is ridiculous), watched some SpongeBob, and made fun of me. Hmm... I meant we slept in a row. Right... we're lame :) But we did eat yummy pancakes in the morning.
And it was great... it was just very nice to see everyone again. I would have liked another day with them, to get into our thoughts/feelings/serious stuff. I'm interested to see if/how people are different after a summer and semester away from Albion... and I'm interested to see if they think that I'm different.
So I left Saginaw at about one in the afternoon Eastern Standard Time... and I called a few people from the road just to say hello and wish them a happy New Year... and I arrived back in Chicago around five thirty Central Standard Time (about a five and a half hour drive). It was a long drive, to be sure... and I was actually happy >gasp< to be back in my apartment. I just needed to relax and not have to drive anymore. I think that in the past week I have easily spent more time in my car than I have at my apartment... and maybe even more time driving than sleeping (it'd be close).
But now I'm back in Chicago... and I have work soon... so I'm going to get going. But I have good news for me: Nate is going to be in Chicago tomorrow and I might be able to see him (bad news is that my apartment is a mess). And I have good news for you, kiddies: I've got a Best and Worst of 2003 list for you (sometime) as well as some New Year's resolutions... so that should be fun! But that's for another time, when I have more time. Hope you all had a crazy New Years (I know Ken did).

And, before I forget... two things:
1. STOP THE "REALITY" TV!!! PLEASE! For the LOVE of GOD... it makes me feel stupider just to know people actually watch that. "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance" is the newest one that makes me want to stab my eyes out.
2. Chicago has two New Rock radio stations. "New Rock" does not mean Nirvana... nor does it mean playing something from Pearl Jam's Ten... Stop playing Nirvana! It's not new! Or, at least play something besides the six songs that are always played... from either band. I mean, Pearl Jam is still making albums... play something NEW if you're going to be NEW ROCK!

No comments: