Thursday, January 22, 2004

" 'You are your own worst enemy' - Andrea"
This is apparently Andrea's new managerial technique. She says she's going to give me a quote a day... and the above was today's quote. I almost started singing "It's no surprise to me I am my own worst enemy," but then I would have to be a flash-in-the-pan bitch like Lit... so I didn't. This quote was handed to me at our 10:15 meeting this morning (for which I was late... damn). But she proceeded to give me a list of about 19 things to do... and then we, honest to God, talked about the benefits of midget ColdStone employees. I bet you wish you could talk about midgets with your boss. But you can't... because you have respect for your employment.
So... our meeting lasted until about 11:30 when we went back to the store, and we started doing productive stuff. My BIG assignment today was to get her and the store two datebooks (one just for her own use and the other will be our "request off" book where people can request days off, hence it's name [i'm not paid to name shit... give me a break]). So after trying, unsuccessfully, to get one at Walgreens, I headed to Borders on the Magnificent Mile. Surely four levels of bookstore should have datebooks! Um... no... no they didn't. All their datebooks have been sold, as it's the beginning of the year and people have already bought them. So that sucked big balls... but I DID purchase myself one for $4 (it looks like my red Hawaiian shirt, no joke). But I knew that wasn't professional enough for her... so I had to do some investigating.
Keep in mind that it was FREEZING out today. Actually, worse than freezing. I hear that the windchill brought it down to -15 for most of the day (that's Fahrenheit). So I was all "walking around" but really I was all "I'm going to die." So that was fun.
Anyway... I thought to myself "well, stupid, where would you go if you were still in Big Rapids?" and the answer was "I don't appreciate being called stupid." ALSO, the answer was Staples. But the nearest Staples is in Valparaiso. That's in Indiana. So that was out... but I DID go to an Office Max. You know, the one up on Fullerton? Yeah... that's the one. And I got some kickass datebooks... and then noticed that there was an Old Navy across the street... so I went there. I got FIVE long sleeve T-Shirts for less than $20... they were all $3.50 and they're all sweet. I bet I look hot! Or at least I look warmer than if they were short sleeved.
With that out of the way, I headed BACK to the store to place the books. While there, I asked Hannah and Abby what they thought of my choices... and they thought I had done a pretty good job (for a man [they didn't add that modifier, I did]).
Then, randomly, Laura called to give me weird info about some dude in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, who's eaten 19,000 Big Macs... I mean, don't get me wrong... it was tres interesting, in a weird "I have relatives in that city" kind of way. It was nice to get a call from her out of the blue like that... it made me smile. Although, I WAS having a serious talk with Abby about what she would like to see changed with the store, so mayhaps the timing was a bit off... but I DID answer the phone.
After that random phone call, I went and got bananas for the store... and then watched Jenn make a couple pans of ice cream (I'm trying to learn how so that I'll know). And then I came back here at a little after nine... after an almost 11 hour day of various work related things.
Sigh... such a long day. I followed it up by ordering uniforms for the store (one of the things on my list). The cool part about my job right now is that I think I'm the computer "expert" at the store already. Isn't that neat? I get to pretend to know everything... I don't see how this is different than college when I pretended to know everything, but it is. Maybe because there isn't a Court to correct my science knowledge, or a Laura to correct my spelling, or a Sellers to correct my vocabulary, or a Jim... wait, he's still around... ok... or a Bob to call me a F--k face. Nope... it's just me and, for once in my life, there's no one around who's better than I am. I know I still have a lot to learn, but it's nice to have the security of knowing that you're the "expert" at something. You know? Of course you don't... you're reading this, which means there are plenty of people around who are better than you are. Take, for instance, that guy who's NOT reading this blog... or chedder cheese fries (mmm). That was random.
Speaking of random... i'm going to go now, as I'm really tired. g'night all

No comments: